I guess these loons will all be put inside

islandgun

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, johnphilip said:

The housemartins  have usually built about 6 nests on my house , nothing has been done upto now maybe to dry for nesting mud. 

Have they arrived yet ?

Large passage of Swallows, House Martins and Swifts went through Gloucestershire yesterday (3-400), heading NW,

If they are there, they will probably start building before long, they will be aware of the weather improvement that is due to come in from today, Temperatures up to 20c by WE, and into next week, allowing  more insects to take to the wing............hopefully.

15 minutes ago, twenty said:

Have they arrived yet ?

Large passage of Swallows, House Martins and Swifts went through Gloucestershire yesterday (3-400), heading NW,

If they are there, they will probably start building before long, they will be aware of the weather improvement that is due to come in from today, Temperatures up to 20c by WE, and into next week, allowing  more insects to take to the wing............hopefully.

Saw a couple of housemartins  a couple of weeks ago , but it's been cold  up here  in Southwest  Scotland  , they are birds I love to see arrive and watch  the cycle  , what they do in a few months.

build14.JPG

1 hour ago, islandgun said:

More loons ! take a look at first vid then listen to Peta advice

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-australia-57225103

Not sure if I saw this on here if so apologise

A job for the .177, mind you it would take a few tins of pellets to put a dent those numbers, perhaps some 9s through the 12g might be cheaper.

30 minutes ago, johnphilip said:

Seeing it like that , it's so hard to comprehend  how bad it must really be 

they also had a massive rabbit population, they were in plague proportions in some areas so they introduced mixy and it knocked the numbers down a bit but they have made a comeback, they are now thinking of introducing RHD.

1 hour ago, johnphilip said:

Seeing it like that , it's so hard to comprehend  how bad it must really be 

absolute nightmare ! we had some in the house [4] , seeing that vid made my skin crawl. but hey they should humanely catch them, doctor them then release them to somewhere that wants several million mice

1 hour ago, old'un said:

they also had a massive rabbit population, they were in plague proportions in some areas so they introduced mixy and it knocked the numbers down a bit but they have made a comeback, they are now thinking of introducing RHD.

Indeed. Introduced to Australia in the 1800’s I believe, eventually reaching plague proportions. I think it was the Romans who introduced them to Britain, bless ‘em. 🙂

6 hours ago, islandgun said:

More loons ! take a look at first vid then listen to Peta advice

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-australia-57225103

Not sure if I saw this on here if so apologise

I've seen videos before from Australia where an area gets left like set aside,  then drought hits and boom mice everywhere. 

20210525_210929.jpg.e14ce76826e0372964c9c002182f717c.jpg

That though is just nuts, protect the mice?

I watched this a few weeks ago, but their going to need something bigger than a bucket,  I'm thinking swimming pools or sceptic tanks. 

14 hours ago, old'un said:

Australia has real problems due to introduced species including mice [jumping ship] no doubt the loons would suggest removing them to somewhere else !

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasive_species_in_Australia

On 25/05/2021 at 10:33, twenty said:

Have they arrived yet ?

Update this morning there about 8 or 10 flying around the house  , beautiful  ,sight to see . A lot warmers . They are going straight back to were that picture  I showed . We took the nest down at the end of Last year to finish the painting of . Amazing they are back at the very same spot. Doing a few stick on tests with  mud . One just flew over my left shoulder  and left a note on it 🙃 . Great to see them again . 

1 hour ago, johnphilip said:

Update this morning there about 8 or 10 flying around the house  , beautiful  ,sight to see . A lot warmers . They are going straight back to were that picture  I showed . We took the nest down at the end of Last year to finish the painting of . Amazing they are back at the very same spot. Doing a few stick on tests with  mud . One just flew over my left shoulder  and left a note on it 🙃 . Great to see them again . 

Good stuff, I'm pleased for you, would be nice to think some of the birds that passed through Gloucestershire, went to you.

Weather has picked up now, as forecast..............start of summer perhaps👍

12 minutes ago, twenty said:

Good stuff, I'm pleased for you, would be nice to think some of the birds that passed through Gloucestershire, went to you.

Weather has picked up now, as forecast..............start of summer perhaps👍

Yes hopefully , here two of last years young swallows  both looking healthy 

twoyoung swallows.jpg