your opinion?

lewis

Don't apologise I wasn't having a go! B)

All birds seem to be the same, if you hit them in the wrong place the feathers will deflect the shot. They can seem "full" where there is nothing of substance behind them :lol:

I've not had the same experience, shoot birds in the middle of their mass where you have the largest target area with the hmr and they should drop (be that explode?) where they are :)

Depends on the range though, under 150yds with the hmr and I would expect just about most hits to kill just about anything reasonable (rabbit/crow etc)

Hi im thinking about getting a 17 hmr rimfire and in just wondering if there is any faults? what is the best model and if theres anything i should know about them?what is the kill zone with rabbits? and are the bullets expensive?

thanks in advance

LM

try a anschutz 1517,the best you,ll find.downsides are noise,wind drift,ammo more expensive than .22lr.pluses are less chance of a ricohet,long range stopping power,flatter trajectory,had mine 2years now and hardly use .22lr,better than .22 if you bump into fox at sensible range,used mine on fox a number of times now and dropped on spot with chest shots,sooner use hornet but you use what you,ve got with you!

yeh sorry i didnt mean it like that. i meant you dont have to take just head shots.

i had a go of a hmr yesterday on some maggies and one of the bullets just seemed to bounce off B) any ideas why pin?

I would shoot them in the head because its going to result in a cleaner kill and for meat damage purposes.

In terms of meat damage with shots to the head, Pin shot a couple of bunnies the other night out with me, both nice clean head shots.

In preparing them for conversion into rabbit pies, I noticed bullet shrapnel running through the entire body :)

SS

forgot to mention that one,does,nt really matter if you stick to crows and magpies not alot left only feathers! B) :lol:

In terms of meat damage with shots to the head, Pin shot a couple of bunnies the other night out with me, both nice clean head shots.

In preparing them for conversion into rabbit pies, I noticed bullet shrapnel running through the entire body B)

SS

One of them I did see what it had done, christ knows how but it had blood clots all the way down it's major organs. Didn't see the other one that well but unsurprised if it did.

Both were shot, perhaps a touch low, but solidly in the head, not a twitch from either and plenty of head damage.

Funny old round the HMR!

the kill zone on a rabbit with a hmr is pretty much the whole rabbit... just put the crosshairs onto its stomach and pull.

B) :lol::) :o

Every animal has a KILL ZONE, and that is the VITAL AREAS, BRAIN/HEART/LUNGS, and not the stomach?:P?

Get to know the kill zone's before you attempt shooting at live quarry.

The .17hmr is a lovely round, and i had three rabbits the other week, 1st one at 101 yards the 2nd at 103 and the 3rd at 105, all in under a minute, shooting prone using a bi-pod. But like any rifle if you cannot put the bullet in the right place you will not get clean kills :)

Kip is right in my opinion, I do not like head shots that much as I have to shoot my rabbits at about 100m, a rabbits brain is not very big, we are talking a large hazel nut.

I will not sulley these forums with tales of maimed animals, but a good heart lung shot is a much safer and therefore humane option that a head shot. You have to hit the brain or spine to outright kill any animal, can you hit a large Hazel nut every time at 100m :lol:

Of course you all can, I had better learn to shoot properly, B)

I have to say I find the HMR a very very good rabbit stopper with a bit of margin for error due to the energy contained in the round and the way the bullet uses the energy. Runners are extremely rare and I have to say you have to be well off the mark to get one. I do tend to use heart / lung area for the longer shots as this is only fair to the target. Compared to a .22lr the advantages are massive, you've got a far higher level of accuracy, a lot more energy contained in the bullet and the flat shooting means far less need for compensation for distance and the errors that you can make with that. The .22 also doesn't transfer the energy as well as ballistic tipped ammo. As for birds well you have to go for body shots if you don't stop them you were aiming in the wrong place and feathers flying means you just hit the feathers with no body behind

try a anschutz 1517,the best you,ll find.downsides are noise,wind drift,ammo more expensive than .22lr.pluses are less chance of a ricohet,long range stopping power,flatter trajectory,had mine 2years now and hardly use .22lr,better than .22 if you bump into fox at sensible range,used mine on fox a number of times now and dropped on spot with chest shots,sooner use hornet but you use what you,ve got with you!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

see that hornet is that reffering to a BSA hornet?

LM

I don't mean to sound rude here but I really do recommend that you do a little more reading on the subject before applying. You seem to be very new to this sport and have asked a couple of fairly simple questions. I also didn't know that the .22hornet was a centrefire round when I started out so I'm not trying to make you sound daft. I just know that the FEO wouldn't have been so keen on me if I hadn't known what I was talking about on the visit. Have a couple of weeks of major reading up, then apply. You'll have more idea of what is best for you so you make the right choice of calibre on your application, and when the FEO visits you'll be fairly confident of knowing the answers to his questions. I asked for a HMR, which in my area is seen as a much better round on flat ground. If I'd have read up on it more I'd have asked for both the .22lr and HMR, and also a 6.5x55 for targets. The 6.5 probably isn't something you need to worry about, but you could try asking for a .22hornet or .222/.223 for when you get more keen or need to shoot fox. The worst they can do is turn down the bigger stuff, it wont affect your rimfire application. If you do go ahead and apply, don't forget to add a moderator for all the guns you ask for on the FAC. Good luck.

I don't mean to sound rude here but I really do recommend that you do a little more reading on the subject before applying. You seem to be very new to this sport and have asked a couple of fairly simple questions. I also didn't know that the .22hornet was a centrefire round when I started out so I'm not trying to make you sound daft. I just know that the FEO wouldn't have been so keen on me if I hadn't known what I was talking about on the visit. Have a couple of weeks of major reading up, then apply. You'll have more idea of what is best for you so you make the right choice of calibre on your application, and when the FEO visits you'll be fairly confident of knowing the answers to his questions. I asked for a HMR, which in my area is seen as a much better round on flat ground. If I'd have read up on it more I'd have asked for both the .22lr and HMR, and also a 6.5x55 for targets. The 6.5 probably isn't something you need to worry about, but you could try asking for a .22hornet or .222/.223 for when you get more keen or need to shoot fox. The worst they can do is turn down the bigger stuff, it wont affect your rimfire application. If you do go ahead and apply, don't forget to add a moderator for all the guns you ask for on the FAC. Good luck.

thanks alot i will and ill keep you updated

LM