Chainsaw PPE

paul1966

52 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

Bad advice. 

There are a few reasons why wearing gloves is a good idea - and none of them have got anything to do with cutting yourself with the chain.

Sorry, I worded it badly!!! Will edit my comment.

I should have said specific chainsaw protective gloves. Completely agree with you, gloves should be worn at all times for all the factors you list above. Have worked as an arborist part time for the last 5 years and even in the warmest heat in the middle of summer gloves must be worn.

Never have I seen anyone wearing chainsaw protective gloves except during training courses!

1 hour ago, stumpy69 said:

Sorry, I worded it badly!!! Will edit my comment.

I should have said specific chainsaw protective gloves. Completely agree with you, gloves should be worn at all times for all the factors you list above. Have worked as an arborist part time for the last 5 years and even in the warmest heat in the middle of summer gloves must be worn.

Never have I seen anyone wearing chainsaw protective gloves except during training courses!

I got lucky in my instructor - he told us not to wear chainsaw protection gloves and my assessor backed him up! They both had a healthy dose of common sense in them

Piece of plastic mesh aint going to stop a sharp saw. 

Most of those pics you see of people with chewed up faces have been from top handle saws, or people who shouldnt/havent been trained to use one. 

Most common injuries are left arm and feet/thigh. 

By all means wear one if it makes you feel comfortable, but its designed to stop chip hitting your face, branches from cracking your skull and from going deaf. Even my instructor told me not to bother if theres nothing to fall on you. 

Safety specs, proper ears muffs, a chain catcher thats present and proper grip. 

52 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

Piece of plastic mesh aint going to stop a sharp saw.

I think the logic is the chain brake gets activated and the helmet stops the blow to the head.

I wear mine mainly to stop bits falling on me (happens a fair bit when felling ash these days) or stopping the odd bit flying up when logging.

Going back to kickback, @paul1966 , if you don't know already you should be standing to one side when logging, so your head is never over the blade. Plenty of simple videos about.

I only ever use mine for logging, being right handed my stance is always bar over right shoulder and well to the right of my head, never bar centre of shoulders. If you are unfortunate to have it kick back with some luck it passes your head. 

1st one i ever used was an 08S no chain brake, no soft grip handle and weighed a ton. 

18 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

I got lucky in my instructor - he told us not to wear chainsaw protection gloves and my assessor backed him up! They both had a healthy dose of common sense in them

The instructor for my windfall course said this, unfortunately for the two felling courses they were insistent.