The return of the Pinks

Fisheruk

1 hour ago, Fisheruk said:

Seems early this year but a few hundred Pinks have returned to West Lancashire already.

Not my photo, but from a friend.1801883E-2153-4617-B663-7B58613A44A5.jpeg.2dab46e4fa08bc4c2ee366729a5064bb.jpeg

That's interesting as i was sent a Picture Friday by a very trusted Wildfowling friend who was sent the picture from a person he knows which was taken by a farmer. They indeed have " pink legs and feet" but was quickly confirmed as Grey-Lag also a few years back a PW member also posted a picture very similar to yours with similar title again they was Grey-Lag which the PW member confirmed. Never say never but truthfully I'd say Grey-Lag and my comments are in know way calling you a liar as was my comments to the previous PW member. Just to add yes there are odd Pink's around the UK either escaped one's or recovering injured ones. Do a Google search quite eye opening if you are interested in Geese eg the two Snow Geese from Germany identified from a collection/park now summering in Scotland then in winter they move to Norfolk being seen from Hunstanton to Lowestoft. Amazing birds in my opinion 👍👍

13 minutes ago, 6.5x55SE said:

That's interesting as i was sent a Picture Friday by a very trusted Wildfowling friend who was sent the picture from a person he knows which was taken by a farmer. They indeed have " pink legs and feet" but was quickly confirmed as Grey-Lag also a few years back a PW member also posted a picture very similar to yours with similar title again they was Grey-Lag which the PW member confirmed. Never say never but truthfully I'd say Grey-Lag and my comments are in know way calling you a liar as was my comments to the previous PW member. Just to add yes there are odd Pink's around the UK either escaped one's or recovering injured ones. Do a Google search quite eye opening if you are interested in Geese eg the two Snow Geese from Germany identified from a collection/park now summering in Scotland then in winter they move to Norfolk being seen from Hunstanton to Lowestoft. Amazing birds in my opinion 👍👍

I didn’t see them myself, but the picture was taken by a “birder” at a wildlife and wetlands reserve nearby. I’ll listen for their distinctive calls this evening 

31 minutes ago, 6.5x55SE said:

Good man I sincerely hope you prove me wrong as without doubt that will be the earliest proven Pinks I've heard of in over 50years of hard chasing them all over the UK 👍 

Our Greys are now getting together and forming one big flock Brad , yesterday morning I went past a stubble field down the end of my road and there a good 200 Greylag geese very close to the road , I was going to turn round and get my camera and take a photo , but as my dog wanted to empty itself I thought I will leave it till I get back home , after been down the marsh half an hour they had lifted and came and dropped in about two marshes away , these would had been easy to mistake as Pinks as most of them were young uns and around the size of a Pink .

We don't get them here until they first hit Scotland , then drift down to the Holkham area , have a rest and maybe pickings off the stubble or the early sugar before flying the short distance to our area , which even mid September would be early , we start looking out for them from the third week of September .

As a footnote , a few year back I was going pigeon shooting about a mile away from the sea near Clippesby in Norfolk , when I got there half the field was covered in Pinks , some were resting while others were either preening or finding something to eat , within minutes the next lot were coming off the sea with more lines of geese following them , to cut a long story short this went on for most of the day until the numbers were well into the 1000s and even then there were still more late skiens dropping in , I had never seen a sight like it before and sadly have never saw the same sight again , a truly amazing event .

September 8th is earliest I've seen Pinks. 11th September earliest I've shot Pink's. From 18th September I'd seen several thousand and took several for their first September Pink . They normally stay ( where i shoot) for 24-48 hrs then move around the Norfolk coast some stopping others carrying on to the broads. Then backend of October moon see's the first big influx which stay at their winter haunts usually November the big numbers join these groups and can be seen regularly from the Humber all the way round the coast to Lowestoft. With numbers up and down as they move between these places do to feed and Pink's being natural rover's. Not long to wait now good luck to all who chase the Wild Geese that migrate to our shores each autumn/winter 🤞👍

On 14/08/2022 at 17:02, 6.5x55SE said:

September 8th is earliest I've seen Pinks. 11th September earliest I've shot Pink's. From 18th September I'd seen several thousand and took several for their first September Pink . They normally stay ( where i shoot) for 24-48 hrs then move around the Norfolk coast some stopping others carrying on to the broads. Then backend of October moon see's the first big influx which stay at their winter haunts usually November the big numbers join these groups and can be seen regularly from the Humber all the way round the coast to Lowestoft. With numbers up and down as they move between these places do to feed and Pink's being natural rover's. Not long to wait now good luck to all who chase the Wild Geese that migrate to our shores each autumn/winter 🤞👍

Cant wait got a trip booked up to Montrose in October already getting the itch.

56 minutes ago, fse10 said:

Cant wait got a trip booked up to Montrose in October already getting the itch.

Very best of luck with a safe journey there and back.

Myself and Conor are both very keen this season new ground to explore with a very different place/places to try and outwit the Geese

On 14/08/2022 at 16:20, Stonepark said:

Unless a few have taken residence or leftovers from last winter, the only way for them to be here this early is if their nesting season failed, which would not be a good thing........

From my observations UK wildfowl have had a good year (bird flu excepted), but I don't know how the weather has been in Iceland and Greenland.