Ultra-sonic cleaners…worth it?

I reload lots of .38 Sp, .357 and .44 magnum with small gallery powder loads. Being able to see the powder down inside the case is important, and I’ve noticed new brass makes it easy. Old brass not so easy because of the sooty deposits. Would an ultrasonic cleaner remove the deposits inside the case? I load on a Lee Pro 1000 and I can get lovely shiny brass on the outside of the case with all the usual methods. Has anyone used an ultrasonic cleaner to do this? Don’t like the steel pins idea as it sounds like too much trouble but I'm interested in ultrasonic method. Anyone use that method?

I occasionally use an ultrasonic cleaner on my .38 special brass in conjunction with the tumbler. 

So I tumble them first, then deprime, then I will occasionally if I think it is needed, clean them in the ultrasonic,rinse well and dry them in a food dehydrator, then give them another tumble as they tend to go dull after the ultrasonic clean.

It will get all the soot off inside and in the primer pocket (if deprimed), I usually put them on a 30 minute cycle at 60°, with a home made cleaning solution.

Edited by Newbie to this

30 minutes ago, oowee said:

What is it? 

aint got a clue.....have seen before and after of clock mech's....impessive................it stinks tho https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultrasonic-cleaning-solution-concentrate-sensitive/dp/B00L0EJ498/ref=asc_df_B00L0EJ498/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=344352605429&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16998977740169732229&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9041117&hvtargid=pla-698684181522&psc=1

30 minutes ago, oowee said:

What is it? 

Edited by ditchman

I use an ultrasonic cleaner. I bought it years ago from Aldi after someone on here posted that they had them for sale for £20.

Best additive i've tried is jif...the stuff you put on your pancakes. I buy the cheapest lemon juice i can get, add to warm water in the unit and leave going for little while. The primer pockets in particular are always clean.

I use one with SeaClean solution my compact U/C cleaner....2 caps per 400l warm water.  Does a cracking job and unlike the "clock cleaner" mentioned above does not contain ammonia.  Best to avoid any cleaner with ammonia as it can damage your brass.

23 hours ago, Imperfection said:

I use an ultrasonic cleaner. I bought it years ago from Aldi after someone on here posted that they had them for sale for £20.

Best additive i've tried is jif...the stuff you put on your pancakes. I buy the cheapest lemon juice i can get, add to warm water in the unit and leave going for little while. The primer pockets in particular are always clean.

Jif's highly acidic but cleans well.  You can also just squeeze the juice from half a lemon into warm water for the same effect!

34 minutes ago, Savhmr said:

Jif's highly acidic but cleans well.  You can also just squeeze the juice from half a lemon into warm water for the same effect!

Never had any issues with lemon juice and some of my brass has been reloaded/cleaned multiple times.

I've even tried using powdered citric acid but was cheaper to buy Aldi/Lidl lemon juice which does same job.

• 2 weeks later...

I use an ultrasonic cleaner. Recipe as follows:

1.5 litres of hot (60 centigrade water) - the heat helps to break stuff down.

1 teaspoonful of citric acid crystals (or 100 ml of white vinegar) - dissolves most gunk.

1 tablespoon of washing up liquid - binds the dirt to the water and degreases cases.

After 20 minutes of ultrasonic cleaning, rinse in tap water in a bowl and then add 1/2 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda to neutralise any remaining acid traces.

Leave to stand for ten minutes with the bicarbonate solution then rinse again with tap water and drain off as much water as possible.

Tip onto clean dry tea towel and dry as best you can. Don't touch with your hands.

Then place on clean, flat oven tray and pop in oven at about 80 centigrade until dry.

Leave to cool naturally and then enjoy your shiny brass!

Mmmmmm........tasty!