Brakes - leaking calliper replaced now no pressure!!!

ph5172

help!!!!!!!

We have a 2006 X-Type that developed a leaking calliper. 
The good lady said her handbrake light was on and on checking the brake fluid was low. 
it turns out the calliper had let go from the rear seal that actuated the handbrake. 

We were due away for 3 weeks so I got a pad and wrapped the calliper and put spill absorbent granules  down. 

new calliper arrived and was fitted today with new crush washers. 

now I can’t get any pressure in the brakes. 

the pedal was soft and to the floor when I moved the car to get it on the flat before the calliper change. 

I can (after a lot of hold, release) get fluid out the bleed nipple on the changed calliper but the pedal is still to the floor with no pressure. 

fluid level is to the max. I don’t get any movement on the piston but I have twisted it and it’s free. There is movement on it with the handbrake but it isn’t close enough to the pads. 

I have just ordered a pressure bleeder to see if that will help things. 

am I missing something obvious or is it a recovery to the garage job. 

or am I being daft and have I missed something obvious

Just now, Gordon R said:

Shame you aren't local. I have a brake bleeder which is run off my air compressor. It sucks fluid from the nipple. Hard pedal, within seconds, every time.

Thats probably what it needs. 
unfortunately it’s not safe to move in the slightest. 

I have ordered one of those pressure bleeders that runs from a spare tyre and pushes the fluid through. 
I assume that’s a similar thing. 

11 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

Air in the system. You or your helper has let the pedal come up slightly before you've tightened the bleed nipple fully shut. Or you or they have run the brake fluid reservoir empty and then topped it up to show as if it were full. As said of that's the case you may now need an all around bleed.

To be honest the warning light was on so I would assume it had got low. 
I checked it when the brake was being pushed and could see the leak. 
It was a constant drip hence my attempt to save the floor. 
it was parked uphill so gravity would have kept it dripping for the 3 weeks I was away. 
when I moved it the pedal was very spongy and to the floor. 

thanks for the advice and I will probably have to bleed all corners. 

2 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

They push fluid through, but to be honest I thought they were a bit hit and miss when I had one - 25 years ago. I hope you get an improved version. They pushed the fluid through, but relatively slowly. 

Mine sucks fluid at a decent rate.

Thanks. If it doesn’t work I will have to call recovery and have it taken to a garage. 

Just an update. 

the line was full of air. I used a pressure bleeder that connects to a spare tyre. 
loads and loads of large air bubbles but I now have brakes back!!

the brakes on the new calliper side now appear to be binding!!! Hopefully they will settle in after a bit of running. 
I have cleaned and lubed the slide pins  the bottom has some ‘spring’ to it but the top none. It as an inbuilt rubber cover actually moulded onto the pin and I think it maybe this but I’m nit sure exactly how the rear calliper works

it required an anti clockwise rewind tool when I took it off after sorting the bleeding issue  

it never rains but pours!!