CROWS

jall25

6 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

That's a great story marsh man thanks for sharing .I've not tried a trap to be fair but that's because  I prefer shoot and wouldn't have the means to  build transport or check a trap .

That is the thing , most people do prefer to shoot , but even shooting can be time consuming and going by the above posts it is seldom that big numbers are shot , whereas a trap is working all day with no disturbance to anybody living or working nearby , I admit that it is normally a two man job to transport it from one farm to another and that is the reason it was made in sections and I believe the bought ones are also in sections .

We have got one on the estate and nowadays it is rarely used , we don't have a lot of trouble from Crows and when we do there is one of the estate staff who go and sort them out and normally one visit and some of the bag hung up on sticks is enough to move them on .

I dare say if Pigeons could be got the same way then we wouldn't have the numbers we have got at the moment , it was once stated that a severe Winter killed more Pigeons than any amount of shooting , now the Winters are fairly mild and o s r is grown up and down the country, is shooting really having much affect on the U K population ? , with the very low  numbers of people I see shooting Pigeons I have got my doubts weather they are making that much impression on the total number in the UK .

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2.5 hours this afternoon  accounted for another 17 crows /jds  over the same field as Saturday  .they certainly  were more wary than the other day . That's around 140 + blacks taken off that 1 field in 3 weeks over 3 sessions  .

We can certainly  see there are fewer birds in the area now ..Still plenty about obviously  but a bit less .or so it seems  

Will probably hit them again in a few weeks when the winter wheat goes in .

I tend to start my day with 8 sillosocks,some ancient plastic full bodies & a crow from the freezer on a flapper,i then add birds to the pattern on cradles & also birds just placed on the ground,i also use an Acme crow call,works for me,good concealment & lack of movement is a key factor for sure,corvids are switched on & quickly educated.

Edited by 51/50

5 hours ago, 51/50 said:

I tend to start my day with 8 sillosocks,some ancient plastic full bodies & a crow from the freezer on a flapper,i then add birds to the pattern on cradles & also birds just placed on the ground,i also use an Acme crow call,works for me,good concealment & lack of movement is a key factor for sure,corvids are switched on & quickly educated.

Has anyone tried a stuffed fox or owl decoy ?

2 hours ago, jall25 said:

Has anyone tried a stuffed fox or owl decoy ?

Yes without success. Little owl on a post along a low hedge, large owl out on a field, large falcon out on a field, all 3 had the same effect, crows dropped in the sky / altered course to have a look but basically carried on flying, I can only assume they weren't real. I've seen them mob buzzards as they fly about & I've seen (in my youth many years ago) a blackbird going ballistic at a tawny owl. I read somewhere owl & falcon decoys are best used in the breeding season ?? I have seen crows go absolutely mad above a fox carrying a rabbit & I've seen magpies stalking baby rabbits but they had the sense to run away to safety. I've still got my owl / falcon decoys & tempted to get some crow feathers to make it look like the decoy is eating a dead crow. You can get crow / magpie skins (sold for taxidermy)

3 hours ago, oowee said:

I have used a dead fox. Or rather I had left a fox in the field and blacks came into it but only briefly. It was not a shootable option for any great effect.

Yeah i have left foxes out but with them been laid flat and a bit worse for wear the crows pay little attention - I was thinking more of a properly posed taxidermy job