This might just run a day or two....

Walker570

We have a glut of pears, I mean hundreds of pounds and hate waste so I looked on youtube to see how I could use them and came up with a caramel pear cake.

I was not satisfied with the original so uprated it and this phot shows the result. All that dark brown on the top is caramel and tomorrow I will take it out of the tin and hopefully in one piece as the last one was so light it broke up but was not wasted.  Full receipe etc to follow tomorrow.

001.JPG

1 hour ago, 243deer said:

looks lovely but surely a glut of pears of that proportion cries out for a perry making session?

I have a friend locally who used to make superb bubbly with our pears but family and work commitments have stopped production. He also made some cracking cider all for retail in the farm shop.

Cannot wait until the morning to see if I can get this one out in one piece.  I will also then put the details of how to make ...

Managed to get this one out in one piece. Trock is to let it cool down completely but still needed a thin knife around beteen the paper liner and the tin to shift odd spots of caramel.  The small one is the first I made exactly as the receipe said on yotube. I made two the same and when we cut and ate the first we found it a bit dry so that is when I decided to double up on the caramel top and bottom.  The big one is that I cooked yesterday and you can see the difference.  I also like the effect of the half pears rather than sliced.  Details to follow...

002.JPG

001.JPG

Receipe.

9 inch cake tin high sided.

3 eggs

1/2 cup white sugar  ( use the 'cup' provided with my bread maker.

1/2 cup coking oil

1/2 cup milk

1 teaspoon of vanilla essence

2 1/4 cuos self raising flour

the caramel.....      1/2 cup brown sugar and 4 tabelsppons of butter

1st  line the tin with baking paper making sure the bottom sheet comes up at least aninch folding it to fit, then line the sides with this paper over laying the bottom sheet.

The caramel mix will find any openings believe me and st stick like glue.

Once this is done butter in a small saucepan and melt then add the sugar and thoroughly mix. Bring to the boil and let it boil for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and pour into the bottom of the cake tin using a tablespoon to scrap it all out of the saucepan and level it out.   Whilst the caramel is boiling cut three large pears in half and remove core and eye. I use a melon baller for this , makes a tidy job.

Lay these half pears down in the caramel, six halves should be sufficient.

eggs, sugar mix well and add oil and milk mix again vanilla essence and flour and thoroughly mix to a creamy texture

Then pour this mixture ontop of the caramel and pears evening it out and making sure it goes down between the pears.

Then make another mix of caramel and pour this onto the cake mixture making sure to spread it evenly.

By now your oven should be at 180 put the cake tin on a metal tray, makes it much easier to put in and get out and put in the oven. Bake for 45-50 mins.

Remove from oven put on a cooling rack and leave for at least eight hours to completely go cold.  Take a thin spatual or knife and work this between the baking sheet and the tin side making sure to clear it right to the bottom. Take a plate which just fits the tin and place this on top of the cake and invert the tin holding the plate in place and a sharp tap on a hard surface SHOULD have the cake releasing onto the plate.  You now have a caramalised upsode down pear cake.  Enjoy.  Great with cream or better in my view with custard which has had a few drops of orange essence added.

DO NOT USE A CAKE TIN WITH A REMOVABLE BASE.  THE MIXTURE WILL SEEP THROUGH......   ask me how I know:angry:

On 22/09/2022 at 08:01, Walker570 said:

Managed to get this one out in one piece. Trock is to let it cool down completely but still needed a thin knife around beteen the paper liner and the tin to shift odd spots of caramel.  The small one is the first I made exactly as the receipe said on yotube. I made two the same and when we cut and ate the first we found it a bit dry so that is when I decided to double up on the caramel top and bottom.  The big one is that I cooked yesterday and you can see the difference.  I also like the effect of the half pears rather than sliced.  Details to follow...

002.JPG

001.JPG

😋😋😋😋😋👍👍👍👍

I don't know how well it would travel but you would be welcome to a big slice and the arteries.  I'm over your way come early November...could be arranged.

2 hours ago, ditchman said:

i will have a big slice of that with a biiigggg spoonful of clotted cream as well  ....what my arteries say is something different..:lol:

37 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I don't know how well it would travel but you would be welcome to a big slice and the arteries.  I'm over your way come early November...could be arranged.

that would be "meals on wheels " ..par excelence        ............food tasts so much better when it looks nice ...and that looks nice and well presented :good:

DISASTER !!!!    My fault.  I did not realise that with the sliced apple in the mix it wood cook maybe 10 to 15 mins shorter time and gave it the 45 mins which I use for the pear mix.  Just a tad over cooked caramel wise whic stuck to the paper liner like glue.  I have sampled it and it is still delcious.  Will crack on and make another, plenty of apples and just give it 35 to 40 mins and see the result.  All ovens vary and you just have to experiment.  Roast chicken tonight and I will be having a large slice of this apple cake and some cream to follow. It will not be wasted.

002.JPG

Well I made another same ingredients and cooked for same time..45 mins but at lower twmp... about 145..150.  Turned out better but I think I will try one with just the caramel poured onto the moxture as it does tend to stick. Mind, I just obtained some cake liners and that material sticks to the caramel like glue but the parchment I use doesn't.

Back to the drawing board but the second one will be disposed of down my throat anway. 

001.JPG

The one joy of slicing the apple and probably pears with a mandolin in thin slices and mixing with the cake mix means the cake will not dry out, it is very moist.  pouring the caramel mix onto the sponge mix allows it to sink in and become part of the mix and HOPEFULLY not cause the cake to stick to the bottom.....BUT as you saw with the pear cake it did not stick using normal baking parchment but seems to stick to these new supposedly non stick cake liners.. 

I have one pack of last years Victoria plums in the freezer, which I might put in the base of the next one, which when turned out would be the top.

Edited by Walker570