Rats, why all male ?

30-6

One farm near to me , took all his old hay bales out of his shed and filled with this year's hay. Prior to this there was evidence of rat activity, it all went quiet but now they seem to be returning. I've caught 3 in fenns all males.

On another near farm ( they are brother in law's ), been catching rats all year through in and around the various out buildings, had 40 so far in fenns and snap. Had a few more today all males.

Is there any explanation why lately they all seem to be male ?

Only speculating but rats are said to be timid with new food sources and therefore traps. Are the males a little bolder and are the first ones to try it?

Is this a new thing or have you not taken any notice in the past? Have to admit I have never sexed them when trapping.

In a similar vein i have shot 50 foxes in one field this year 

Out of the first 40

38 were dogs ! I think the males are so much bolder as above and first to the food.

The doe rats could be also caring for pups - the females also binge eat and so perhaps spend last time vulnerable to trapping 

2 hours ago, jall25 said:

Out of the first 40

38 were dogs ! I think the males are so much bolder as above and first to the food.

The doe rats could be also caring for pups - the females also binge eat and so perhaps spend last time vulnerable to trapping 

Maybe the males are going out to get food and bring it back to the females  .

Hi yes it could be the female rats staying with the young. The females will be out less than the male maybe when you have killed all the males and think all the rats are gone all the young ones will be out. I was always told that the male would eat the young. I never thought about the rats I’ve killed if they were male or female, but a rat in young is easy enough to see. A dog fox will feed the female and will be out more in the breeding season. I have noticed more rats about in the last few years, some are using rabbit burrows since the vhd killed the rabbits. 

Never monitored it before really, just something I've noticed recently. Some have been quite large.

The snap traps are baited, but the fenns are mostly just on the runs.

The bait I've been using lately is crushed up fish pellets scattered over the plate of the trap.

I have noticed by their absence squirrels this year, last couple of years we caught or shot quite a few, but this year haven't bothered. BUT, when the ton bags of barley supplement feed arrives they seem to always find it.

On 30/09/2022 at 05:03, jall25 said:

Out of the first 40

50 foxes in 1 field , you must have a kind RSPCA van dropping them off 👍

5 hours ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

50 foxes in 1 field , you must have a kind RSPCA van dropping them off 👍

No i honestly dont think so - it is a find with everything in they would ever want - a pond / food cover

Since that lot over circa 3 months i have only shot about 4 or 5 on the rest of 500 acres