Rabbit population decline

Acerforestry

We are based in the Weald of Kent area, and though this may not be the case elsewhere I'm interested to know how rabbit population is elsewhere (if I missed a similar thread sorry this may be a repeat). It's odd that I haven't seen much evidence of mixy of late yet where there used to loads of bunnies as an example where my other half keeps her horses, there now appears to be zilch- they used to scatter as you drove in, at any time of day at any time of year, and now...nothing. But aside from that there is little evidence of roadkill locally as well, I have literally seen one leveret at the roadside within the last month. What is going on? Comments, please

2 minutes ago, Acerforestry said:

No, I I'm only usually interested in pigeon shooting but thought I was generally up to speed with local flora and fauna - this is not something I'm aware of, about to google that now

Few topics on here about the same thing, thet can dissappear in the space of a week and have done. 

I'm seeing a few more in places near me, and when driving to work I noticed 4 or 5 road kill which seemed like a really big deal.

I noticed a few more in other areas I regularly shoot over. Left them alone as Autumn has been closing in, they'll do till spring. My Father has been busy with the PCP in one field beside him, inundated with them, he has it fairly cleared, left a few. They are destroying his garden the neighbours and the neighbouring chicken farm.

Not noticed much  disease but if its a short sharp hit on them then maybe you wouldn't notice so much...

6 minutes ago, RyanMc said:

I noticed a few more in other areas I regularly shoot over. Left them alone as Autumn has been closing in, they'll do till spring. My Father has been busy with the PCP in one field beside him, inundated with them, he has it fairly cleared, left a few. They are destroying his garden the neighbours and the neighbouring chicken farm.

Not noticed much  disease but if its a short sharp hit on them then maybe you wouldn't notice so much...

Yes, some areas will have healthy populations. I've seen where a field or two could be black with rabbits, and then nothing for miles around. Other area's seem to have no sign of disease at all, and other areas haven't seen a rabbit in ten years or more.

Ok thanks for all replies, offical stats claim that the UK numbers are down 60 per cent on what we had in the mid nineties. A lot of farmers will be glad I know, but I can't help thinking that controlling mammal populations with engineered diseases is really not a great or ethical idea

13 hours ago, Eddie B said:

Yes, some areas will have healthy populations. I've seen where a field or two could be black with rabbits, and then nothing for miles around. Other area's seem to have no sign of disease at all, and other areas haven't seen a rabbit in ten years or more.

I have only been shooting now 2 years (late starter at 36) but on my main area I hadn't saw more than one rabbit, i have cleared 5 foxes earlier this year and within a month noticed a couple of rabbits in the grazing fields. Hopefully thinning out the foxes has brought some balance back.