Cocker Spaniel Pup

stuart21

Evening all!

I’m thinking about getting a cocker pup next year, and will be looking for a red dog with a stocky build.

I mostly do walked up, with a bit of driven and some wildfowling.

I haven’t had a spaniel before, as I have a lab and a working Goldie and think a cocker would be great for where I live.

Can anyone suggest where I should start looking please?

Thanks!

Stuart 3 years in on a sprocker for me - upto 2 years it was erm fun - spaniel ears.

i love mine to bits but every two steps forward you seem to take one backwards 

go for it but if I had my time again and we didn’t have Covid a session every couple of weeks with someone who trains and works spanner spaniels would have helped I am sure .

they need brain and stimulation and nose stimulation but mine works like hell on a beating line - most of the time where I want her to

Agriv8 

I’d forget about colour and focus on getting a pup from parents that are actually worked, have no faults and have the attributes you are after. 

There’s plenty dogs who are driven to shoots once a fortnight, left to run around out of control and then their owner tells everyone they are a top working dog worthy of being bred. 

There’s a bloke comes beating on our tiny syndicate, who tells anyone who’ll listen the dogs brilliant, it’s totally out of control, has a hard mouth and squeaks. 
Last I saw him I think he said it’s sired over 130+ pups. People use it because of the colour (black and tan). 

Unfortunately breeding any old thing they can get their hands on seems to be a lot worse with cockers (probably cos they’re so damn cute). 

Father daughter and granddaughter 

when I was given the father they weren’t popular with the shooting community 

and even now I exercise caution in the shooting field with a robust briefing before we start if ground game is being shot on the day 

A overly keen gun could think they were a fox or a hare 

it happens 

you maybe want to consider this aspect of the coulor choice 

3A1B1DF6-6FC3-4C14-B051-51D397876034.jpeg

Thanks all!

Whilst it will be my first spaniel, it’s not my first working dog.

I’m not looking for a trialling dog, but I am looking for a pup from working parents and proof of that.

There seems to be quite a few out there that don’t actually work or are being bred quite young. That is not for me