Rat trapping question

30-6

One of the farms I go to has loose cattle pellets about 1 or 2 ton bags load ( out of bags just on stone floor ) inside a shed. This is right next to hay bales. I have had 1 rat inside on a bale and 4 outside along wall using unbaited tunnel traps.

There is rat poop on the loose feed but I am unable to stand on it as I sink. Any form of trap I use needs to be small pet dog proof and idiot farmer proof. If I use a narrow entrance to the tunnel they seem to ignore it. I did try various other baits but no good. Basically there is so much food available to them they can go where they like. Is tinned cat food worth a try ?

Any other ideas ? Somebody else must be in the same situation and has thought of something I'm missing.

Hello, I had good success with those black snappy type traps, called crocodiles, just put in some pipe of sorts so the dogs/ cat safe, screw on to a board 1ft x1ft x6 inch, heavy type board, lace with peanut butter, weigh it down, and leave over night, another one was a rat family cage , set it up in a corner, bait up, weigh down, they can be shot in cage, sub 12 air rifle,

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

17 minutes ago, 30-6 said:

One of the farms I go to has loose cattle pellets about 1 or 2 ton bags load ( out of bags just on stone floor ) inside a shed. This is right next to hay bales. I have had 1 rat inside on a bale and 4 outside along wall using unbaited tunnel traps.

There is rat poop on the loose feed but I am unable to stand on it as I sink. Any form of trap I use needs to be small pet dog proof and idiot farmer proof. If I use a narrow entrance to the tunnel they seem to ignore it. I did try various other baits but no good. Basically there is so much food available to them they can go where they like. Is tinned cat food worth a try ?

Any other ideas ? Somebody else must be in the same situation and has thought of something I'm missing.

air rifle?

Put your tunnels, wooden or plastic pipe down around edges of buildings with nothing in but bait for days, keep feeding around them and throw it inside. Then start to add the traps, ifyou want to bait them to shoot with an air rifle i had brilliant results with mashed potato and mixed in some fishing additive (BRASEM) they cam from miles for that. 

42 minutes ago, 30-6 said:

I did try to sit in a corner but shed is very congested and I can only get about 3yds away. 

I did put a trail cam up but unbelievably seen nothing, but am going to do this again.

I like a challenge but stumped at the moment.

its possible there is only a small number of rats around the yard, its surprising just how much poo half a dozen rats can produce, do they have poison bait traps around the yard?

Air pistol, haven't got one. He usually has poison down, but trying to keep costs down and a owl or two about, I told him leave it till end of year and see what I can pick up, probably won't listen though.

This farm is under 2 miles from me so nice and local to get to. Another one 3 1/2 miles away stopped using poison and has no cattle food at the moment, had 42 so far there had 46 last year.

Two much food around to get good results in baited traps. I think tunnels set up in key locations, might be your best bet trap wise. 

When using unbaited tunnels, I look out for runs, tight against structure like shed walls etc. Another important thing I feel, is to use some blocking, around the tunnel entrances. Some on the sides and top of the tunnel, leaving the tunnel entrances, as the easiest route from A to B. This takes a little more time and effort, but certainly yields better results.