Picking Up Tomorrow.

worrall26

39 minutes ago, worrall26 said:

Went too this shoot couple of times last year. most hospitable company, fed and watered. Regular shoot walked up.  Does dog good to sit on peg now and again.

take yer camera and post a load of pics up.......we all like to see what other folk are up to :good:

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

it has often been explained to me that the guns are there for the amusement of the dogs:lol:

Not sure if i had posted on PW before,

How the dogs look at you when the guns miss is priceless.

its common knowledge that a shoot we pick up on there's a gun that hits everything he raises his gun on, and some. Whoever is picking up anywhere near has him he's trying to send them  in all directions for his shot birds that you saw fly well off into the distance. . 

Just 3 quick pics from today, only using my phone so excuse the last blurry one, he's not exactly slow. 

I took a DSLR but its just too bulky to carry around. 

1st pic, he's 100% fixed on the task in hand, nothing not even his favourite cocktail sausage will distract him.  

2nd pic, a shot to the left, Busters ready for the "go on" command but we wait for the end of the drive as that ones not going anywhere we send on runners ASAP

3rd pic A hen from the other side of hedge, a tad blurry, i tried to slow him down for the pic but he doesn't do slow. 

37550352_100attention.jpg.7a1b9a0667d5a5d96eef88e4d954078a.jpg1882748814_Shottotheleft.jpg.46b242baa0385c33eb47fdf0b5d69b8c.jpg451790105_Henretrieve.jpg.1f4cae15406485fd447dd0e719f30268.jpg

Nice pics and nice dog.  Last week I had a picker up come to me and commend me on a partridge I thought I had missed. I also said I thought I had maybe tailed a couple of cock birds and she held the one up and said she knew whwere the other was across thenext field.  Shooters sometimes don't appreciate those folks standing behind them but I have done both and always make a point of talking to them after a drive. I hate the present 'fashion' of guns walking around picking birds after a drive. That is what the pickers up are there for and enjoy doing it, it is their day out with their dog/s, plus they have usually marked the birds anyway. RANT over.

Thanks, 

This is a pretty relaxed shoot, no them and us, guns beater and picker's up all in it together, not a bad bag of 140 today and all birds gone off the rails end of the day. 

The only niggle is the odd gun trying to send you on all the birds he's raised his gun to, but hit "B" all, but he's now been told to leave it to the picker ups to decide to send or not. 

On 25/11/2022 at 22:11, ditchman said:

take yer camera and post a load of pics up.......we all like to see what other folk are up to :good:

Will try and put a few pics up. We aren’t allowed to generally post pics with guns and vehicles on the estate I pick up on but am sure I can find a few picking up that might be of interest sharing.