Downrange Energey Numbers for air pistols.

Fen tiger

After the Pistol hand in i got a 2240 co2 pistol plinked with it for a few weeks, then locked it in a filing cabinet drawer and forgot about pistols they were just part of history as far as i was concerned.

Fast forward 20 odd  years, and in covid lockdown boredom had me revisit the 2240 and experimentation with pellets and trigger spring had me consistent with it and i was confident enough for up to  ten yard rats.

I went on to buy a Edgar Brothers 25 super charger in again.22, and this was a bit more of a chalenge to master, but the trigger adjustment and a red dot sight had me consistent enough and again i progressed to under ten yard rats.

Pellets i settled on were good old eley wasps 14.5 grain and both air pistols were more or less legal limit at between 390fps to 425 fps respectfully the 2240 tailing off to 380 in cooler weather.

I have no concerns hitting or killing rats with both these pistols, but would be interested to know what kind of ft lbs energey they are retaining at the ten yard max ranges i use them on rats.

Any Chair gun owners or such programes , if you could help please i am interested to know .

Eley wasp 14.5 grns at 400 fps .bc 0.025 

Doing 5.2 fpe at muzzle  

4.7 at 10 yds 

4.2 at 20 yds 

Absolutely  plenty of energy at those ranges  for dead rats .

The biggest issue is pass through  and a bouncing around pellet inside a tight barn etc .I use .177  to try and reduce the danger of this .

A .177 flat head pellet doing 5 fpe at muzzle will have 4 fpe at10 yds and 3 at 20 yds 

I like the h+n hunter extreems 

5 at muzzle 4.5 fpe at10 and 4 at 20 yds and they stop and hit as hard as a flat head  .

I've shot more rats with a .177 pistol carbine than any other gun ive ever owned  . So less power than your .22 

If you fancy a .177 look at the crosman 1377 pump up .it doesnt  suffer the co2 cold problem in winter  .

Its also possible to fit a stock on it and a scope and  silencer if you want .making it a super light compact carbine .

I had a ratcatcher for years .

I even made a small mag type adapter that gave me a quick second follow up shot for rats . But when it was very cold in winter down the farm (main ratting time of year ) the power dropped off way too much making kills VERY unreliable .

So I swapped to the. 177 pump up .its  slower getting a second shot and noisier.  But the pellet went where I expected it to and did the job well .

Coupled with a cheap nv scope on top I could shoot all night if I wanted to as long as I had pellets I never run out of air or co2   

Something that would happen with my pcps or co2 ratty , when  the rats just kept coming .

A spring gun can kill a nv unit .

• 3 weeks later...

I listened to the advice on .177, and decided a week ago to buy a 1377 crosman, but i could not find one local but was drawn to a ux  trevox which are .177. its a biggish pistol rather like the hatsan 25 supercharger but slightly lighter and gas ram type as opposed to hatsans spring power.

the trevox os fairly quiet and accurate but the trigger is the worst part , its got lots of travel and although let off is crisp enough its a bit heavy and took some right getting used too.

Use Crossman .177s at 7.4 grain and they do 530 to 535 fps the .177 wasps are a bit lighter and it was a few fps quicker but not just as accurate and still around 5 ft lbs. Just got it stet up with a red dot and it kills rats fine.

The Umarex trevox is a quiet air pistol a lot quieter than the spring hatsan or especialy the co2 crossman which is quite loud for an air gun.

Trevox has a cocking aid come moderator of sorts and that with this gas ram idea seems to work ok.

7 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

That sounds like a good rig 

Certainly faster and quieter than a 1377 .though the trigger on the crosman is pretty good .glad to hear the .177 is working for you .try a few flat heads for accuracy  (.177 hobby ) I find they shoot well and kill rats well too at close ranges  

:good:

On 22/12/2022 at 00:21, figgy said:

Nephew has a Zoraki /Webley Alecto both same gun pump pistol only needs a couple of pumps and is quite accurate with a laser sight.  Quiet with a silencer too. 

I like the idea of pump pistols, and will get a crosman  1377 or 1322 some day. The recoiless nature of pneumatic and independence from external charging paraphernalia appeals to me. Getting good with a pistol especially a heavy ungainly springer is hard enough, pump up technology old fashioned or not appeals to me.