Opinions required please.

harrycatcat1

A while back I bought a brand newΒ  .177 smk pcp with scopes, bag and a tin of pellets for about 200 quid. I've had some good sport on vermin control squirrels, rabbits and corvids. My previous air rifle 50+ years ago was a bsa meteor.

Recently I thought about night shooting rats πŸ€. It turns out that the sights supplied with the gun are not compatible with a pard 007 because the sights won't zoom in and out so the pard would be blurred.

So do I spend money upgrading my scopes and buying a pard or use my existing scopes and get a 38 quid torch jobby that attaches to the top of the scopes off fleebay. What would you do?

Saying that I've not been out with the air rifle for well over a month at least. Been out with the shotgun mainly.

Chuck some ideas please

I have shot thousands of rats and feral pigeons just using a small t20 torch with a red pill and an s200 (with the 10 shot conversion) around the farm and pack houses so stay with the cheap option to start with.

I use the same torch when rabbiting at night on foot just to do the initial spotting.Β 

12 minutes ago, 243deer said:

I have shot thousands of rats and feral pigeons just using a small t20 torch with a red pill and an s200 (with the 10 shot conversion) around the farm and pack houses so stay with the cheap option to start with.

I use the same torch when rabbiting at night on foot just to do the initial spotting.Β 

Yes I'm leaning that way, can you recommend/link one. Or comment on one if I put a link up?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155127186322?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=k1q_jdnisxi&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=v2P7Ib7BQsi&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

on the bay see item numberΒ 314037000545 - still only Β£18 not sure about import fees now but mine has lasted 10+ years. This small torch only uses 1 x 18650 battery so although I usually carry a spare on a frosty night 1 battery usually lasts me 3 - 4 hours of intermittentΒ use

I think a lot depends on your aim (forgive the pun). If your after some sport a torch will be fine. If you want to clear up a problem the NV will be far more efficient. Either way you want to avoid swinging rifle about looking for targets. Nv for rats is not so expensive you could also make your own.Β 

5 minutes ago, 243deer said:

on the bay see item numberΒ 314037000545 - still only Β£18 not sure about import fees now but mine has lasted 10+ years. This small torch only uses 1 x 18650 battery so although I usually carry a spare on a frosty night 1 battery usually lasts me 3 - 4 hours of intermittentΒ use

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314037000545?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=Gd9jY8bHTMq&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=v2P7Ib7BQsi&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I presume you have a fixed mag scopeΒ  4x32 ?Β  This isn't ideal for rats at close quarters as 4x is often too much magnification.Β  And not ideal for longer range rabbits . A zoom scope of 2- 7 x 32 or a 3- 9Β  x40 wouldΒ  work wellΒ  get one with adjustableΒ  parrellax either on the side or on the front objective lens and then add you pard to it .

Should work very well .

But first I'd just buy a torch and see how you go like that first. See what's about and bag a few .if your enjoying it but are getting frustratedΒ  by them scampering away when you turn the torch on then considerΒ  the pard .

Edited by Ultrastu

2 minutes ago, oowee said:

I think a lot depends on your aim (forgive the pun). If your after some sport a torch will be fine. If you want to clear up a problem the NV will be far more efficient. Either way you want to avoid swinging rifle about looking for targets. Nv for rats is not so expensive you could also make your own.Β 

I wouldn't have a clue how to make one to be honest I know zero about electrics etc.

1 minute ago, Ultrastu said:

I presume you have a fixed mag scopeΒ  4x32 ?Β  This isn't ideal for rats at close quarters as 4x is often too much magnification.Β  And not ideal for longer range rabbits . A zoom scope of 2- 7 x 32 or a 3- 9Β  x40 wouldΒ  work wellΒ  get one with adjustableΒ  parrellax either on the side or on the front objective lens and then add you pard to it .

Should work very well .

But first I'd just buy a torch and see how you go like that first. See what's about and bag a few .if your enjoyingvit but are getting frustratedΒ  by them scampering away when you turn the torch on then considerΒ  the pard .

Good advice I think πŸ‘

I thought a torch attached to the scopes would be better but open to opinions.

1 minute ago, harrycatcat1 said:

I wouldn't have a clue how to make one to be honest I know zero about electrics etc.

:lol:Β I am the worlds worst at diy but even I made my first one from a youtube video that even listed the parts I had to buy. NV Forum will have some ideas and plans too. Total cost was Β£50 five years ago.Β 

something like thisΒ https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225252160886?hash=item3472133576:g:r5cAAOSw8-Vjc1QE&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA4Ceb0YmYddzwesgmsQ4ZfoSEQ0S9vslHwpVjT5JEuvJWbp36fC9DIlL%2BQkmWtzIBcACxr5Iu%2BGEHTv0pwd15HrzzMesioPECiWrJ4tfXGrJe5E%2FWUcauE%2FmgVZzow4Mn3khCbkyCuPum8B%2FaSGwsWhvxH2xvmt14ejM43wn%2Br588DqY3mcw%2FDOsVvlYJGPJirVOopwQ4Am44oZIbMzuWpcQVIeKqJCryelX%2FkAjs82SUBOmLnipwIKxTNgOLMBxkKuNbWkRlHA4BWIlkBmJBjbyMDpTWF1qCTa4l2Cgmm7uN|tkp%3ABk9SR-K3jbueYQ

Maybe twisting this a bit but using a bsa ultra 10 shot from a certain β€œassociate” who posted above I have had some good sport on the rats !

my root was second hand Yukon rt scope will focus from about 5 meters to well past my accuracy or kill rang of a sub 12 .22 !Β Built Β in infrared torch it’s only downside is it’s heavy on as bateries but there is an Aldi between me and the farm so no huge problem!Β 

regarding the cold spell I was passing and nipped in the first night I have had no rat sightings! Oh and don’t believe the hype miss them a couple of times after they have seen the ir glow they soon scarper when you light them up !

keep us posted Agriv8

10 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

I haveΒ  an nv rig but I tend not to use it much these days .too cold out down the barns after rats.Β 

I used to love it years agoΒ  and shot thousandsΒ  of them but I'm a bit to old for it now ..

Good fun though if they are about in numbers .

Β 

Yes that's what is making me a bit hesitant about spending too much money to be sat in the cold. In theory it seems to be a good idea. Done a lot of it wildfowling but age and health is changing my mind.Β 

10 hours ago, oowee said:

As I know nothing about these things, would this be OK for short distance rats πŸ€ as it says 100m also would it be ok on my sights which have no zoom in ability πŸ€” you can see I am not very technical.

Hello, much depends on how often you going rat shooting ? , There are cheaper NV add ons but your need a AO or side focus low magnification scope, a second hand photon XT , or a red torch will get results, I started with a 501 B red torch many many years ago, what PCP and scope do you have ?

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

52 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, much depends on how often you going rat shooting ? , There are cheaper NV add ons but your need a AO or side focus low magnification scope, a second hand photon XT , or a red torch will get results, I started with a 501 B red torch many many years ago, what PCP and scope do you have ?

I did try one of the screen add ons but could not get on with it, πŸ™„

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

I did try one of the screen add ons but could not get on with it, πŸ™„

I had one of these too and fitted a red filter to the screen to reduce glare off my face. I think I have been through maybe 10 NV set ups.

In some ways I found the one with the screen best for rats around barns as I could rest the rifle on my lap or a low tripod to shoot. Save shouldering the rifle.Β 

1 hour ago, oowee said:

I had one of these too and fitted a red filter to the screen to reduce glare off my face. I think I have been through maybe 10 NV set ups.

In some ways I found the one with the screen best for rats around barns as I could rest the rifle on my lap or a low tripod to shoot. Save shouldering the rifle.Β 

Hello, I think a lot of use night shooters started with torches and ad ons, mine was a special as he fitted the screen on the battery box ,Β