Type 2 Diabetes

islandgun

I had the same diagnosis 2 years ago so I changed my diet to all the healthy things we know we should eat. No biscuits, cakes, chocolate and no sugar in drinks. Exercised more. I've come down from 18 1/2 to 14 1/12 stone and I no longer have an issue with diabetes. Life is a bit miserable but the occasional treat is really enjoyed. I have a wardrobe full of clothes that don't fit me but apart from that there are no problems.

I was diagnosed as 'pre diabetic' about 4 years ago.  Nurse suggested I might be able to either postpone it of possibly even avoid it if I dieted/lost weight.  Now I wasn't all that heavy anyway (about 12 stone - 77 Kg), but just over a BMI of 25.  She suggested I should get my BMI below 24, so lose a stone to 11 stone (70Kg) - which I did.  I was also suggested to change diet by;

• avoiding most sugar/sugary things especially sugary drinks
  • reducing fats/fried things
  • reducing carbohydrates, especially in things like cakes, biscuits, puddings etc.
  • keeping alcohol low (which I do anyway for gout)

It has worked (though weight has crept up slightly this autumn to 72 Kg).

In dietary terms, I avoid almost all sweets, sugary drinks, added sugar, cakes, biscuits, 'puddings'.  I go fairly lightly on bread, potatoes, rice, pasta.  I eat mainly lean meat, poultry, game (limited due to gout risk), fish.  I rarely eat much fried food, and keep butter, cream and cheeses fairly low.  Make up with lots of simple veggies (i.e. boiled, oven roast, salads etc.) and keep alcohol to around 15 - 20 units a week (red wine and occasional spirits).  Unless 'out' I don't eat puds at all now.

I don't do formal exercise, but do walk dog at least twice a day and am pretty active around house/garden etc.

Edited by JohnfromUK

I was diagnosed around 10/12 years or so ago. I was told when I was 30 following gaul bladder removal diabetes would inevitably follow.

It took 30 years but finally caught me. I kept it at bay by diet and good exercise, but other health issues didn't help. Arthritis almost killed the exercise, Meniere's topped it off. My diet is still good and at times I'm still in the non diabetic range.

I'm now on Empagliaflozin tablets as metformin made me want to fight everyone, not good when I like to fight anyway😬🤣

A few years ago the Dr had a panic attack when I was seriously ill and hospitalised following a stroke and put me on insulin. Once on you never come off. The authorities took my HGV 1 and my work life ended. I test morning and evening plus before and after meals, also before driving and if driving a lot, every two hours. Thats the law regarding driving should you wish to retain a car licence.

Even now, I can still get my bloods at non diabetic levels by careful diet and just gentle walks and even the small amount of exercise of decoying or dog walking.

My diabetic nurse tells me im allowed 3 times a year to ignore a careful diet. Christmas, Birthday, and one day on holiday. It works for me. 

I keep alcohol to a minimum too, odd beer, occasionial glass of Laphroig or Ardbeg, odd bottle of Port, erm i mean glass.

Best piece if advice, avoid absolutely everything that is processed before you get it. Never eat fast food or anything that might be convienience or ready meals and such.

If you have been diagnosed this means your HbA1c glycated haemoglobin level is now at 48mmols or above. Plenty of evidence that individuals with type 2 DM have put there diabetes back to the pre diabetes levels 42-47mmols and below 42mmols which is normal with lifestyle changes. Weight loss being the most significant with dietary changes and exercise. Research shows that losing up to a stone can bring the most reduction in the glucose levels.

Once diagnosed with type 2 DM there is no guarantee that your levels will 'never' return to the pre or dignosis levels at a later stage in your life, that said, plenty of evidence  that individuals have reduced there levels many years after dignosis.

Some very good advice from the posts above.

Diabetes uk website is a very good source of information which may also help.

Fantastic advise folks..👍.. Looks like a real change of lifestyle for me, Im slightly overweight so that needs to come off but still walking the dog, I dont eat processed or fast food,  will have to take this seriously methinks, a closer watch on diet would also help with the reflux. Lightly steamed lettuce and a prune for dinner then..😄

Clearly a healthier lifestyle incorporating a proper exercise regime is important, but doctors typically prescribe Metformin to reduce blood glucose. It works but can have unpleasant side effects because interferes with the gut biome. However, if you're into healthy options consider a natural alternative called Berberine. This has been used in China for years and is often prescribed there instead of Metformin.

Recent research shows it to be at least as effective as Metformin but without the side effects. Not only that, but it benefits gut bio and thus the immune system as well as reducing cholesterol. People taking it also report reduced desire for sweet stuff and weight loss.

Look it up if you want confirmation.

IMO not all supplements are created equal and I won't buy anything from Holland & Barret as they're Russian owned. I take Berberine for a different reason altogether, but I recommend "British Supplements" as a good supplier of naturally sourced Berberine.

Edited by Westward