Nurse's not on strike?

Rem260

26 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

They’ve had a pay rise significantly below inflation, as have many others. 

In the private section you can sit down with your company and negotiate your pay and package. Yes that doesn’t mean you can guarantee a pay rise but you have the option to negotiate. 

You cannot negotiate your pay in the public sector it’s all banded. 

Here’s the real crux of the situation … services at the moment are awful. 

I’ve got a mother waiting for a major surgery been waiting over 18 months, she almost died 2 weeks ago from an infection due to the issue on-going. 

Wards are currently rammed full beyond belief. 

I was answering emergency calls a few days ago and had a long discussion with a Paramedic who was crying down the phone about the absolute awful state of the system currently… they had a 40+ hour wait for an ambulance and had major incidents with no one left to send. 

I don’t even think the nurses and others pay is the main factor for these strikes … the current system and conditions are totally unworkable. 

I agree throwing money at the system won’t solve the problems… but we simply can’t continue with the way it is at the moment. 

The shouts by people saying if they don’t like it then go and work somewhere else … we’ll that is exactly what’s happening across lots of areas of the public sector and the shortages are hitting hard. 

My MIL died this morning in A & E after a 13 hour wait surrounded by drunks, the system and country is absolutely broken.  Services and society in general are broken.

Edited by Weihrauch17

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Weihrauch17 said:

Are you being sarcastic or do you actually believe any Politician can review anything and improve it?  All that all of them do is make everyone's lives worse by the day.

Seems, sadly, to be the right answer?

Sorry for your loss.

Edited by old man

9 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Here’s the real crux of the situation … services at the moment are awful. 

I’ve got a mother waiting for a major surgery been waiting over 18 months, she almost died 2 weeks ago from an infection due to the issue on-going. 

Wards are currently rammed full beyond belief. 

I was answering emergency calls a few days ago and had a long discussion with a Paramedic who was crying down the phone about the absolute awful state of the system currently… they had a 40+ hour wait for an ambulance and had major incidents with no one left to send. 

And it's been like this for a long time, take out the time wasters, illegal immigrants and drug addicts and things might ease.

I can't watch the Ambulance programs on TV because they just frustrate me, getting sent to a time waster or drug addict over someone who has had a genuine accident/ illness is ridiculous, same as people waiting ages and ages for an Ambulance to arrive, you wouldn't think it was possible for a 40+ hour wait in this country, I'm quite sure if something happened to one of mine I'd be straight in the car after being told it was going to be hours.

9 hours ago, Weihrauch17 said:

My MIL died this morning in A & E after a 13 hour wait surrounded by drunks, the system and country is absolutely broken.  Services and society in general are broken.

Sorry to hear this, nobody should have to wait that long in A&E.

Those injuring themselves when drunk or under the influence should just be left till others have been seen.

11 hours ago, Weihrauch17 said:

Sorry to hear that. 😞  it's a broken system and desperate when you get to the sharp end. My condolences to your wife. 

13 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

My Mrs in the private sector has a meeting every year to negotiate her pay rise, she always used to get around 5-7%… hence the notion the private sector has better pay etc. 

You can’t negotiate your pay in the public sector, it’s all banded. 

I think your Mrs might be on the higher end of the delta.

My base salary has increased by 20% over the past 10 years which implies an average annual rise of 1.5%
That's despite working for a company that regularly ranks among the top employers to work for in the UK.
I also experienced the loss of a shift premium which originally added ~23% to my base salary.
There is no facility to negotiate - the pay scales are banded too.

Hence I'm a little bit cynical about the idea of contributing to 10%+ pay rises for nurses, many of whom will be earning more than I do already.

Maybe not applicable to doctors and nurses etc but I suspect many public sector employees would struggle to earn anything like their current package in the private sector.

14 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

But no one seems to be able to find this 30% . The graphs and other information shown in this thread doesn't show that kind of drop. I'm not saying it's not true but as yet it's not been proven 

It's actually nothing to do with historical pay rates:
https://graziadaily.co.uk/life/real-life/things-know-youre-junior-doctor/

Junior doctors are facing a pay cut of up to 30%

The proposed contracts would increase doctors’ base pay for standard hours (currently 7am-7pm Monday-Friday), but also decrease the rate doctors are paid for working anti-social hours, such as night shifts and weekends – an overall pay cut that could be as much as 30%.

19 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Nurses on average have received about 2-3% pay rises each year over the last 10 years. 

Inflation has been running at 5-6% on average over the last 10 years. 

So nurses and many others in the public sector have been losing on average 3% of the value of their pay, each year. 

Over 10 years they have therefore lost 30% of the value of their pay. 

Is it that hard to understand? 

My Mrs in the private sector has a meeting every year to negotiate her pay rise, she always used to get around 5-7%… hence the notion the private sector has better pay etc. 

You can’t negotiate your pay in the public sector, it’s all banded. 

And the biggest part that everyone seems to forget, most private sector work is money making which inturn dictates the amount of money available. Public sector is very rarely money making. 

Also yes I know how to do math Mate 🤣 

So it could be 20 or 30 % if you say 5-6 % but let's just use the top end.  Also bare in mind I work in public sector so have also for the last 9 years been in the situation they are.