Fantastic day Picking up

Dougy

What a difference a fall of snow makes on a shooting day ? , we had a day yesterday , very frosty but sadly no signs of snow , one word of warning in these ice'y conditions , we have got a drive down on the edge of the marshes which is excellent for duck and game alike , four of us were picking up so we look after two guns each , as my dog enjoy going through the reeds and the dykes then I always stand well back on the marsh , the drive had started and cock bird that was hit fairly hard came down just behind me , as my dog had seen it I let him go after it straight away , off he went and started to work along the edge of a fairly big dyke when he caught the scent on the other side of the dyke , the ice was hard enough to support his weight and he was over in a flash , after a bit of searching he finally found it , on the way back he took a slightly different route and crossing the dyke with a bird in it's mouth the ice gave way close to the edge , with him being a strong dog he had broken the ice and was on the way back before I went to see what the problem was , as it turned out it had no effect on him but a smaller dog or one that is not used to these sort of conditions could have been in trouble , so if in doubt , then keep him or her out .

P S   Nice photos and it looked as though you had a good day . THANKS for posting .

5 hours ago, marsh man said:

What a difference a fall of snow makes on a shooting day ? , we had a day yesterday , very frosty but sadly no signs of snow , one word of warning in these ice'y conditions , we have got a drive down on the edge of the marshes which is excellent for duck and game alike , four of us were picking up so we look after two guns each , as my dog enjoy going through the reeds and the dykes then I always stand well back on the marsh , the drive had started and cock bird that was hit fairly hard came down just behind me , as my dog had seen it I let him go after it straight away , off he went and started to work along the edge of a fairly big dyke when he caught the scent on the other side of the dyke , the ice was hard enough to support his weight and he was over in a flash , after a bit of searching he finally found it , on the way back he took a slightly different route and crossing the dyke with a bird in it's mouth the ice gave way close to the edge , with him being a strong dog he had broken the ice and was on the way back before I went to see what the problem was , as it turned out it had no effect on him but a smaller dog or one that is not used to these sort of conditions could have been in trouble , so if in doubt , then keep him or her out .

P S   Nice photos and it looked as though you had a good day . THANKS for posting .

We have 2 duck drives, one of which the ducks may fly over or into a river, depending on the height of the river will depend on where the guns are placed if its high no we wont send the dogs. The same thought process goes with the frozen lakes no shot game is worth loosing dogs over. Never any complaints from the guns, but the shoot will try and remove those risks. During the brief in the morning these issues are always covered and the chance to raise any concerns, any ducks on the river would be picked later using a boat, ts a brill shoot and very please to be part of. 

14 hours ago, Dougy said:

We have 2 duck drives, one of which the ducks may fly over or into a river, depending on the height of the river will depend on where the guns are placed if its high no we wont send the dogs. The same thought process goes with the frozen lakes no shot game is worth loosing dogs over. Never any complaints from the guns, but the shoot will try and remove those risks. During the brief in the morning these issues are always covered and the chance to raise any concerns, any ducks on the river would be picked later using a boat, ts a brill shoot and very please to be part of. 

Thats brilliant that you think like that and i am sure you must be a great asset to the shoot