Dogs on icy ponds and in cold water

243deer

I was reminded on another thread by Marsh Man of an incident that happened in the late '70s that nearly ended in tragedy....

We were beating at Sissinghurst Castle and were tasked with trying to get extremely reluctant ducks to fly off a large frozen pond/lake. One young gentleman had a fairly young Labrador that was as keen as mustard. As we approached the pond the dog clearly wanted to go out after the ducks and the owner shouted 'no' several times which nearly stopped the dog but not quite. As the dog went onto the ice some wag called out 'yes' which was received by some merriment which was very quickly subdued as the dog broke through the ice. Very fortunately this was not far out and the dog managed to hang on long enough for a ladder to be brought and the dog rescued. 

Another time I recall is when I was out winter roost shooting. There was a bitter North East wind and the birds I shot were dropping on the other side of a dyke full of water, probably only 6ft across. My lab had done about 6 retrieves, so 12 dunkings, when I noticed she came back a little slower. This was my cue, a pat on the head, well done girl, let's go home. This might have been childs play for a dog used the the marshes but she did not do much work in water and there is always another day. I still remember the day very fondly.

Look after your dogs folks.

I caution my guns and beaters every week when its like this

A few years ago the lake we have had frozen over - One of our guns sent his dog to retrieve a pheasant much to many protesting.

As the dog got to the bird the ice broke and the dog fell in and could not get out - The gun jumped in and started to smash the ice and try to get to the dog - just before he reached the dog it jumped out of the ice and came to land - A couple of us by now had some barrels / feeders and threw these to the chap and he got out.

Thank God - all he suffered was cut arms from the ice and mild hypothermia - but it could have been disaster -This happened perhaps 20 years ago and we talk about it so much it seems like yesterday. 

As i posted in my thread in sporting pictures the shoot makes the decision not to pick birds from the river in flood during the morning brief.  If you want to count them end of day then fine.

Its a mug that sends his dog to a bird in either flood water or an ice covered lake.