At Last

old'un

Well after a long spell without seeing anything worth setting up for I have today managed to shoot 32 and picked 29.

Went out at 7:15am and was at the first field by 7:30am, sat and watched it till 8:30 and a grand total of 9 pigeons come to the trees, so on to the next field, nothing, next field, nothing, by now it was 11:00am and I must have looked at 10 fields of rape over a fairly wide area and not one had any birds on, one last place to look at before home, it was now 11:15am as I pulled into the gateway and bingo, about 200 hundred pigeons on the field and in the trees with a few joining them, got out and walked them off and they headed for some woods about a mile away, it was now a waiting game to see if they would come back, well within 10 minutes they started coming back, not sure if they were the ones I had just walked off or new arrivals but it looked promising so off I set to my chosen spot.

I was setup and ready to go by 12:00, the wind was perfect coming from my right to left with the sun (when it came out) behind me, within five minutes of getting in the hide I had my first customer, they kept coming in two and threes for the next couple or so hours, by 2:30 they just stopped, gave it another twenty minutes and never seen another bird but I was just happy that I found some to shoot, at last. :yahoo:

Now for the bad news, the bag should have been at least 70 but I was shooting like a clown and could not shake myself out of it, cartridges fired at pigeons 88, killed 32, think I need a visit to my local clay club for some coaching.

Just a note on crop content, nearly all the birds were virtually empty apart from 4 that were full of rape.

:lol:

Yep, pretty ****, I think its down to this polymyalgia I have/had, its nearly cleared up now but I still have some pain in my wrists and shoulders, it hurts a bit when firing the gun and think I was anticipating it but the main thing I had a good day and was out the house, it was an almost perfect day weather wise.

Are you out looking/shooting?

Edited by old'un

Well deserved and it should have restored your faith that not all the Pigeons have moved out of your area, a good start and your poor(ish) shooting could be down to timing and excitement might have taken over , you will soon get back into it once you know that more days are on the cards , or should we say , hopefully :good:

29 minutes ago, old'un said:

:lol:

Yep, pretty ****, I think its down to this polymyalgia I have/had, its nearly cleared up now but I still have some pain in my wrists and shoulders, it hurts a bit when firing the gun and think I was anticipating it but the main thing I had a good day and was out the house, it was an almost perfect day weather wise.

Are you out looking/shooting?

Not shooting at present as I was blue lighted to hospital just before Christmas after collapsing with a temp of 41 degrees and stayed ten days with Pneumonia and anaemia. Still under the hospital on weekly visits and lost  muscle mass. Due to the fact that I feel weak I will be out in a few weeks, DB and BB have offered to take me out and act as ghillies, for which I thank them.

6 minutes ago, pigeon controller said:

Not shooting at present as I was blue lighted to hospital just before Christmas after collapsing with a temp of 41 degrees and stayed ten days with Pneumonia and anaemia. Still under the hospital on weekly visits and lost  muscle mass. Due to the fact that I feel weak I will be out in a few weeks, DB and BB have offered to take me out and act as ghillies, for which I thank them.

Sorry to hear about your spell of poor health and I for one hope you are on the mend and can see light at the end of the tunnel , I think it take time to accept we all can't do as we once could and can't always adapt to the condition we find ourselves in . good to know that DB and BB will help you out and if I was you I would gladly accept there kind offer .

Get Well Soon    MM

20 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Sorry to hear about your spell of poor health and I for one hope you are on the mend and can see light at the end of the tunnel , I think it take time to accept we all can't do as we once could and can't always adapt to the condition we find ourselves in . good to know that DB and BB will help you out and if I was you I would gladly accept there kind offer .

Get Well Soon    MM

20 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Get Well Soon    MM

Thanks, appreciated 

1 hour ago, pigeon controller said:

Blimey, sorry to hear that, I thought I’d had a bad year but that sounds pretty bad, hope things improve for you in the near future and you can start to get out a bit more.

I wish all the best for you. :good:

14 hours ago, old'un said:

Well after a long spell without seeing anything worth setting up for I have today managed to shoot 32 and picked 29.

Went out at 7:15am and was at the first field by 7:30am, sat and watched it till 8:30 and a grand total of 9 pigeons come to the trees, so on to the next field, nothing, next field, nothing, by now it was 11:00am and I must have looked at 10 fields of rape over a fairly wide area and not one had any birds on, one last place to look at before home, it was now 11:15am as I pulled into the gateway and bingo, about 200 hundred pigeons on the field and in the trees with a few joining them, got out and walked them off and they headed for some woods about a mile away, it was now a waiting game to see if they would come back, well within 10 minutes they started coming back, not sure if they were the ones I had just walked off or new arrivals but it looked promising so off I set to my chosen spot.

I was setup and ready to go by 12:00, the wind was perfect coming from my right to left with the sun (when it came out) behind me, within five minutes of getting in the hide I had my first customer, they kept coming in two and threes for the next couple or so hours, by 2:30 they just stopped, gave it another twenty minutes and never seen another bird but I was just happy that I found some to shoot, at last. :yahoo:

Now for the bad news, the bag should have been at least 70 but I was shooting like a clown and could not shake myself out of it, cartridges fired at pigeons 88, killed 32, think I need a visit to my local clay club for some coaching.

Just a note on crop content, nearly all the birds were virtually empty apart from 4 that were full of rape.

Great to hear you get a result. I'm following the same pattern but when I find a field with 200 on, they don't come back!

13 hours ago, marsh man said:

Well deserved and it should have restored your faith that not all the Pigeons have moved out of your area, a good start and your poor(ish) shooting could be down to timing and excitement might have taken over , you will soon get back into it once you know that more days are on the cards , or should we say , hopefully :good:

No mate, don't think that was the reason I shot like a knob, crossers are one of my favourite birds and I don't usually miss many, as I said earlier I think it was because my shoulders and wrists hurt when I fired the gun, think I was anticipating it which was causing me to flinch on the birds, mind you I was just a little excited when the birds started showing me they wanted the field.:)

One thing I did find odd was how empty their crops were, of course the other 56 that I missed :blush: could have been full.

15 hours ago, bunny_blaster said:

Good effort, 88 for 32! Time to take up golf?? I’m out tomorrow and Sunday so will hopefully have a few myself

Good luck hope you find a few that will shoot…...take plenty of cartridges just encase you miss one or two.:whistling:

I have put my name down at the local golf club, how many balls are you allowed to take with you?

1 hour ago, kitchrat said:

Great to hear you get a result. I'm following the same pattern but when I find a field with 200 on, they don't come back!

I did not think these birds were going to return as there's more rape fields west and south of the one I shot and only a couple of miles away.

You could well be right with having a off day due to your shoulders and wrists playing up a bit and worrying that you don't aggravate them any more than how they are , flinching is also a major problem when it comes to pulling the trigger .

I had a spell where I was not only flinching I was also finding it hard to pull the trigger at the right time , a Pigeon would present itself for a shot , my gun would be on it as normal but I would keep following it as I couldn't combine pulling the trigger at the right time , it got to the stage where sometimes a Pigeon would come head on and because I got the timing wrong the Pigeon would carry on towards me without being fired at .

I found two reasons what I think was causing this situation , one was using heavy cartridges , in the Summer months I often shoot with just a short sleeve shirt and my gun was kicking a bit with these 32 gm shells , then another reason was the gun I was using at the time double fired twice over a period of time , the first time it done it I got it looked at and it was alright for a few months then one day it done again so that gun went into retirement , I then used my ( best ) one which was a lot better but knowing it won't double charge I was still thinking of the cartridges I was using , so I changed to Velocity 28 gm and things were pretty well back to normal , I was then on the lookout for another gun as I didn't want to use my English side lock for everyday use , so I bought a nice one at the auction and I am now shooting well with it , mind you having a back problem I have to be careful how I shoot while sitting down and trying to carry to much at once , one thing I don't have to worry about at the moment is carrying to many Pigeons off , the chance would be a fine thing :good: