Pheasant stocking density

11 minutes ago, Stonepark said:

Stocking density depends on cover and food availability.

What habitat does your shoot hold, pasture, arable, heather, rush, arable crops, game crops, young forestry, mature forestry, etc? Total area?

Yes i get that - i realise its how long is a piece of string - but so can a pen be too 

Some of commercial shoots i have heard are circa 50 birds an acre - 

Just after any other numbers really for interest 

The stocking density PER PEN is advised as one yard of perimeter wire per bird, which is ridiculous as it means a pen 100 yards square should only be used for 400 pheasants whereas a pen that size would often be used for 1000/2000.  
I have no idea of the recommended density per acre, but it must surely depend on terrain.

I rented a shoot in Oxfordshire for 25 years from Forestry Commission and they imposed a stocking ratio which I recall was around 2.5 per acre. They also commissioned a study with game conservancy see bulletin 106- Woodland Management for Pheasants. Outdated but the principals won’t have changed.

They eventually decided to stop the shooting and I moved on anyway although the shoot had been going for over 50 years and still would be but for their attitude!

This is what I have always gone off for my birds. Page 3.

https://basc.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/CoGSP-compliant-Release-Pen-.pdf 

For Pheasants I go off my total area of woodland in metres squared divided by 3, then divide by 10. This means you use no more than a third of your total woodland for overall pen area, so you avoid overstocking your shoot and gives you the total amount of birds to release giving each bird 10m squared of room each. However the 10 changes if you are on ancient semi natural woodland or on SSSI etc where you follow the rules of a licence.

This is an example for my old syndicate.

14,120m^2 / 3 = 4706m^2 / 10 = 470.6m^2 = 470 Pheasants at 10m^2 in the pen

Hope this helps.

Edited by Essexfowler