6 Nations 2023.

walshie

1 minute ago, chrisjpainter said:

Very much a 2-tier tournament this year. Scotland, Ireland and France will fight it out for the championship and everyone else will fight it out to avoid being bottom. 

That can't have helped. I'm unconvinced by Van Poortvliet, Hassell-Collins was anonymous for large chunks and Farrell's kicking was way off the mark. Marchant looked the best of our backs by a country mile.

Agree totally. We, the spectators, expect so much more from any England team, but this current team are in transition and continually looking to improve. It appears that this tournament is being used to create the team expected ? 🤷

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

Very much a 2-tier tournament this year. Scotland, Ireland and France will fight it out for the championship and everyone else will fight it out to avoid being bottom. 

We looked more convincing than France did against Italy?

2 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

That can't have helped. I'm unconvinced by Van Poortvliet, Hassell-Collins was anonymous for large chunks and Farrell's kicking was way off the mark. Marchant looked the best of our backs by a country mile.

I thought Van did better than last week, England definitely kicked better than last week,  I thought some of Farrells kicks were spot on pinning Italy back, we just kicked away too much possession I thought.

I'm not sure if we had wingers on the pitch, but Ollie definitely had a good game, but then they used him like they do Manu crashing into the defence. 

2 hours ago, JKD said:

appears that this tournament is being used to create the team expected

I'd say so with just having changed the coach so close to the tournament,  the focus has to be on the World Cup. 

26 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

Absolutely,  I couldn't understand why they kept kicking in the 22, if you have advantage and its a free shot, fair enough,  but like they say, apply the pressure,  keep the ball and rack up the points.

Wales will be interesting 😁 I just hope they don't do what they normally do, kick high balls to Wales back 3, play like they did in the first half.

• 2 weeks later...

Wales v England,  it should be good, the Welsh hate us and its always a cracking atmosphere in Cardiff,  unless your English 😅😅

Wales haven't won a game and I hope it stays that way, but there's no chance of them not being up for this 💪💪💪

But I'm in work tomorrow so no beer's 

Interesting,, both teams ceem a bit "stuck".....the game they play is outdated,some of the players past their best and an unwillingness to stick with anything new long enough to make a difference....instead of a gradual evolve to keep pace they now need a rapid transition which is almost impossible....

On 12/02/2023 at 17:02, chrisjpainter said:

England were very poor again, why is Farrell at Fly Half over Smith?

16 minutes ago, Weihrauch17 said:

England were very poor again, why is Farrell at Fly Half over Smith?

Because he's better, not a liability in defence and the team is playing better rugby.

Two wins now, I'd say England are making progress and the score reflected the performance, England looked great in defence,  Wales only scored off an intercepted pass and England missed 3 kicks which is unusual. 

Wales look like they might get the wooden spoon 🤣🤣

I'd still say England kicked again when it should have been run.

I sort of watched the second half of Italy v Ireland,  Italy look the best they ever have and Ireland didn't simply smash them.

England v France and Ireland look like they'll be great games, but so does Scotland v France and Ireland.

13 hours ago, Rim Fire said:

Well done England best team out there for some reason we kept kicking the ball to one of the best fullbacks out there 

I thought Jonathan Davies on comms was going to have an aneurism over that. Incredible levels of persistent stupidity! They virtually awarded man of the match to Steward themselves.

Although at times England's kicking wasn't much more intellectually inspired.

Edited by chrisjpainter

2 hours ago, Mice! said:

Because he's better, not a liability in defence and the team is playing better rugby.

Two wins now, I'd say England are making progress and the score reflected the performance, England looked great in defence,  Wales only scored off an intercepted pass and England missed 3 kicks which is unusual. 

Wales look like they might get the wooden spoon 🤣🤣

I'd still say England kicked again when it should have been run.

I sort of watched the second half of Italy v Ireland,  Italy look the best they ever have and Ireland didn't simply smash them.

England v France and Ireland look like they'll be great games, but so does Scotland v France and Ireland.

Sorry don't agree, he creates nothing just kicks possession away and his place kicking is a shocking liability at the moment.

I got to disagree with as well England have beat the two worst sides in the the six nations they lost to Scotland and got Ireland and France to come if they beat one of them teams then yes they are progressing  I  don't fancy our chances against Italy  at the moment 

11 hours ago, Mice! said:

Edited by Rim Fire

2 hours ago, Rim Fire said:

I got to disagree with as well England have beat the two worst sides in the the six nations they lost to Scotland and got Ireland and France to come if they beat one of them teams then yes they are progressing  I  don't fancy our chances against Italy  at the moment 

You can only beat one team at a time 😁

They should have beaten Scotland but didn't finish the game off, and Scotland seemed to want it more. 

It was a good strong performance against Wales, but for the intercept it was a great display in defence which the coaches and players will be happy with. 

Neither France or Ireland were comfortable against Italy so I'm looking forward to those games, they'll really show where England are at.

Certainly the closest tournament for a long time.

1 hour ago, millrace said:

Reading a few comments,,,,any truth that the 3,,15 sec subs at end of game pocket 25k.....and certainly earning your first cap in such circumstance must disappoint....or is this how media rugby is now played......

There was something said in the commentary about they'll get their match day bonus.

Meant to add, who would ever thought Italy would be a tough game for Wales, 11th of March,  pizza and Peroni 😁😁

• 2 weeks later...

The team sheets are in and finally we'll get to see what Smith can do when he doesn't have Farrell slowing him down. Whether it works or not, I don't mind, but at least they're trying it, although I'd like to see him get more than one game against a very tough opposition.

For Wales, is Gatland trying to turn the clock back 5 years? Rhys Webb back at 9, Liam Williams and Wyn Jones both come in too. Wales' lack of a production line might be leading them to the wooden spoon; beating this Italy side in Italy isn't going to be easy

39 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

The team sheets are in and finally we'll get to see what Smith can do when he doesn't have Farrell slowing him down. Whether it works or not, I don't mind, but at least they're trying it, although I'd like to see him get more than one game against a very tough opposition.

For Wales, is Gatland trying to turn the clock back 5 years? Rhys Webb back at 9, Liam Williams and Wyn Jones both come in too. Wales' lack of a production line might be leading them to the wooden spoon; beating this Italy side in Italy isn't going to be easy

I've just been looking at things and thought Owen out and Smith in was smoke and mirrors! I can see it back firing big time, he's too much of a defensive risk, I can see me shouting at the telly lots.

And Italy v Wales, come on Italy 🇮🇹