Maxam CSB0 powder

I seem to remember reading a couple of years back there were a few members who were trying to work up 410 loads with maxam csb0 powder just wondering if anyone had any success with 2 1/2 and 3 inch 410 loads

I,ve got 2 kgs of the stuff that came from clay and game a few years back but i cant find anything out about the burn rate etc 

Thanks Mark 

I tried 7,0 grains as a starting point in a 3 inch case behind 16 grams of no 6 shot yesterday 

only loaded 3 to try them out so I didnt shoot them through the chronograph or pattern them though so no idea of velocities 

seemed pretty reasonable tbh no visible signs of over pressure no primers bulging or difficult case extraction etc 

All 3 cases ejected well with no issues

all 3 ejected cases were all good no signs of splits or cracks

the case mouths showed no signs whatsoever of burn marks no soot indicating blow by no brittle mouths etc all good 

When I get a bit of time I,'ll try a couple through the chrono to check their velocities and go from there

and test for some patterns I was looking for a point on where to start tbh 

So that helps me out a lot at least I got some idea where to start from now 

Thanks mate 

Edited by hafod

1 hour ago, 222mark said:

I think all the data on loads  Clay and Game  give out was Ian Charltons originally. Came with the business. They certainly haven't developed them.

Yeah Ian charlton always published his load data at the end of his catalogue back in the day when the business was in Antons gowt in Boston lincs

22 hours ago, hafod said:

Yeah Ian charlton always published his load data at the end of his catalogue back in the day when the business was in Antons gowt in Boston lincs

Well I'm quite shocked by that      clay and game are charging for that loading data then 

I thought they would have published a lot newer stuff than that some of those loads would be donkeys years old by now 

Ian used to do a CD ( I have one) ,with a lot of pressure tested loads on it together with a lot of information on components how they work and test comparisons between different primers/wads/cases/ shot /wad lubrication different crimp closures and the pressure /speed relationships.

Edited by Andy H

On 06/02/2023 at 16:12, hafod said:

I seem to remember reading a couple of years back there were a few members who were trying to work up 410 loads with maxam csb0 powder just wondering if anyone had any success with 2 1/2 and 3 inch 410 loads

I,ve got 2 kgs of the stuff that came from clay and game a few years back but i cant find anything out about the burn rate etc 

It can be used in a very good 12 ga steel load if I remember correctly 1oz I think if my memory serves.

16 hours ago, Andy H said:

Ian used to do a CD ( I have one) ,with a lot of pressure tested loads on it together with a lot of information on components how they work and test comparisons between different primers/wads/cases/ shot /wad lubrication different crimp closures and the pressure /speed relationships.

I used to get the catalogue from Ian every year the data was always in the last couple of pages in the back I could never get my head around the postal charges though lol 

17 hours ago, Andy H said:

There are lead shot loads for csb0 in 410 , 28 , 20 , 12 , 10 and 8 bore.

Brilliant

28 and 20 bore as well 

Christ that powder is a lot more versatile than I thought it would be  then I,'ll have to have a search  around for some data 

Cheers mate 

3 hours ago, 222mark said:

70mm PT case, cx2000 primer, 36 to 38 grains CSBO, gualandi wad, 36g lead, crimp finish. Giving 1200 or 1300 fps.

Ive used it with lead for inland geese and with steel on the shore with a 36g RTO load,.some found it difficult to get consistent patterns .i find its just fine.

On 07/02/2023 at 22:42, Andy H said:

There are lead shot loads for csb0 in 410 , 28 , 20 , 12 , 10 and 8 bore.

Andy H 

Any chance you could find me the 20 bore data I find I'm using the 20 bore and 410 a lot more now than the 12 if I'm honest

cheers mate 

Andy