No v5

janner

I bought a vehicle and the genuine seller cannot find the v5,

I have been on the dvla site and no real answer,

All i can find is that i have to wait 4 weeks before applying and paying £25 as the v5 may turn up, the seller has searched everywhere and it is lost, he has owned the car since '87, last taxed 2019,

It seems i cannot tax it without the paperwork but to wait 4 weeks to apply for a v5 and then to have to wait 6 weeks til its processed seems wrong, is the 'wait 4 weeks' rule set in stone or could i apply straight away, the v5 will not be found,

Any pointers or  ideas?, i have searched online but no up to date info is about and  dvla webchat is on strike today,

Edited by janner
More info

18 minutes ago, janner said:

I bought a vehicle and the genuine seller cannot find the v5,

I have been on the dvla site and no real answer,

All i can find is that i have to wait 4 weeks before applying and paying £25 as the v5 may turn up, the seller has searched everywhere and it is lost, he has owned the car since '87, last taxed 2019,

It seems i cannot tax it without the paperwork but to wait 4 weeks to apply for a v5 and then to have to wait 6 weeks til its processed seems wrong, is the 'wait 4 weeks' rule set in stone or could i apply straight away, the v5 will not be found,

Any pointers or  ideas?, i have searched online but no up to date info is about and  dvla webchat is on strike today,

Why does. The previous  owner not apply for a v5c  . He/she should  get one straight away .

There is a bit more to it,

The seller is a v elderly gent and his elderly daughter was rightly guiding him through the sale, they have looked right through the many docs but cant find the v5, it was frustrating the gent not knowing where he had put them and his daughter was trying to help but to be honest i think she has a bit on her plate at the moment with things so i said when it turns up to let me know, their family situation doesnt really need the aggravation of non health issues so hence me applying for through the dvla rather than what may be seen as my pressuring them,

the 'wait 4 weeks' seems a bit off if the seller(gents daughter) has looked everywhere,

1 hour ago, janner said:

There is a bit more to it,

The seller is a v elderly gent and his elderly daughter was rightly guiding him through the sale, they have looked right through the many docs but cant find the v5, it was frustrating the gent not knowing where he had put them and his daughter was trying to help but to be honest i think she has a bit on her plate at the moment with things so i said when it turns up to let me know, their family situation doesnt really need the aggravation of non health issues so hence me applying for through the dvla rather than what may be seen as my pressuring them,

the 'wait 4 weeks' seems a bit off if the seller(gents daughter) has looked everywhere,

Another government great idea unfortunately !

Don't want to put another spanner in the works , but was it sorned, and if you don't use it straight away make sure and sorn it, why I'm saying this is I bought an old land_rover for restoration , the old boy had died but it hadn't been sorned for 5 years and DVLA where looking for someone to pay the out dated tax .

He could apply on the phone for a new one as he probably doesn’t know the V5 number but in all honesty you are probably just saving the snail mail transit time of the application form. 

if it doesn’t have a valid MOT you can’t tax it anyway. If it’s not been taxed since 2019 I doubt it will have an MOT. 

you will be able to book it in and take it without the tax and the registered keeper is not necessarily the legal owner anyhow.

by the time that’s done the V5 will probably be with you anyway  

45 minutes ago, janner said:

Built 1967 and on sorn,mot exempt, insured it to drive home,

Its a Land rover 109 that needs a bit of work, i'm a bit apprehensive of buying major parts like a bulkhead 'til the v5 is in my name,

dvla are on strike today,

I would not worry about that

V5 is no proof of ownership