Value of cartridges

I have approx 1250 12B cartridges which are mostly loose and comprise of premium game loads and some old clay loads.

Mix of plastic and fibre. All the game loads are modern > 3 years. Some of the clay loads are >10 years with some >35 years.

The local auction would take them and asked me to have a reserve on them. Any idea what should ask, was thinking £200 Is that fair in this day & age?

If you can be bothered then splitting the clay and game cartridges will probably be a better option if you want to get the most money. 
there is too many factors at play with auctions to say what to do, some will charge if unsold so putting a high reserve and having it go through the auction a few times is better for the auction house so it costs you more and you have to factor in what commission they charge for you and the buyer, what are you happy with after they take say 30% off the total for you and they are putting 30% on top of the sale price for the buyer to factor in also. 
if you have a price in mind then selling privately on a forum like this can be a good option also as cartridge prices are quite high at the moment and they seem to sell really quickly without hassle. 

Hello, I would say as a job lot £250, £200 for the game loads,

32 minutes ago, Stonepark said:

Stroud auction house next sale has lots of cartridges, have a look at the lots for an idea of value the auction house will put on it.

Yes, I heard people were paying as much with auction cost as you can buy new ?

Hello, where are you based ?

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Bear in mind a buyer will also have to pay a buyer's premium of 20% or so.

And you, the seller a commission of around the same 20%. So you will get back £80 on £100 hammer price and the buyer will pay £120 on a £100 hammer price.

So I think you can sell privately via PW and get back more money. 

However unless in their original slabs of two hundred and fifty a job lot of mixed cartridges won't make as much as some here suggest.

This especially so if all assorted, loose and not even in makers' boxes of twenty five and different brands and loads.

Why?

Because unless the auction is happy to list exact quantites of each make, load, chamber length, was type and etc. your cartridges will just be described as "One thousand various 12 bore cartridges."

Edited by enfieldspares

11 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

Bear in mind a buyer will also have to pay a buyer's premium of 20% or so.

And you, the seller a commission of around the same 20%. So you will get back £80 on £100 hammer price and the buyer will pay £120 on a £100 hammer price.

So I think you can sell privately via PW and get back more money. 

However unless in their original slabs of two hundred and fifty a job lot of mixed cartridges won't make as much as some here suggest.

This especially so if all assorted, loose and not even in makers' boxes of twenty five and different brands and loads.

Why?

Because unless the auction is happy to list exact quantites of each make, load, chamber length, was type and etc. your cartridges will just be described as "One thousand various 12 bore cartridges."

Thanks - will list on here when allowed.

Like you say my local auction sporting goods sale charges me 18% to sell and the buyer 18% so they make decent money but neither the seller or buyer get a particularly great deal.

41 minutes ago, Stephen-H said:

Sort them out into game & clay loads as stated & sell them on here you don't have to pay any auction fee's that way & might be helping someone on here perhaps a retired shooter carry on shooting with some bargain cartridges 

Will do just that