Purchasing Euro's

steve_b_wales

It's that time of year again when I need to purchase Euro's(2200) to pay the hotel in Egypt. As usual, I have checked online for the best deal, and found that Sterling FX are the best so far, charging £1931:01 including delivery.

I've never had currency delivered before and have only ever used Ramsden's which used to be the best. Has anyone used Sterling FX?

Edited by steve_b_wales

3 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

Local agencies may well quite a better rate if you ring around. I know some years ago people lost all their money with one online currency provider. 

That's what I'm worried about. I can pay by credit card but then get clobbered with charges. I might just look at a few local ones ( Tesco, Asda, Post Office) and see who offers the best.

We always used to use M&S for convenience and rate. Our local Sainsburys has a FX desk and offers two rates, normal and an enhanced rate with Nectar card. Paid by debit card and got €1.09 to the £ last week. We're away now France, Italy and next week Slovenia. Santander Mastercard conversion rates since last Friday have been between 1.14 and 1.16. I hope that helps. 

Tesco and Sainsbury are fairly competitive and you can collect the cash.
I would not be happy to have a large amount of cash posted to me.
Incidentally, if you use Tesco or Sainsbury, then you check your card statement, you will see the transaction was handled by FX.

I used my Nationwide Debit card on 30 May in Paris to buy two carnet of Metro tickets. Here is the line from my Nationwide statement:

RATP PARIS 2 x Carnet at 19.10 Euro = 38.20 EUR at 1.14784 = £33.28 plus a Non Sterling Transaction Fee of £1.00

On 1 May I used it in Versailles to withdraw 100.00 Euro in cash:

SOCIETE GENERALE VERSAILLES CASH 100.00 EUR at 1.12982 = £88.51 plus a Non Sterling Transaction Fee of £2.65

Hope it helps. 

Edited by enfieldspares

I have had a euro bank account for over 20 years - fortunately having bought  the euros at better than 1.5 euros to the pound.

I top it up when the rates look good (which is the only time that I look at the £/€ rate) and draw cash from ATMs at no cost as needed. Generally, however, I just use the bank debit card.

On 29/05/2023 at 13:44, steve_b_wales said:

It's that time of year again when I need to purchase Euro's(2200) to pay the hotel in Egypt. As usual, I have checked online for the best deal, and found that Sterling FX are the best so far, charging £1931:01 including delivery.

I've never had currency delivered before and have only ever used Ramsden's which used to be the best. Has anyone used Sterling FX?

I have used Sterling FX but found a Wise (previously Transferwise) to be a lot cheaper. I have got a multi denomination debit card that you can spend almost any currency in the World and Wise will debit any currency you have on deposit. 

I'm regularly paid in US$ and in Euro and their transfer fees are ridiculously cheap.

Check out https://wise.com/

24 minutes ago, Eyefor said:

I have used Sterling FX but found a Wise (previously Transferwise) to be a lot cheaper. I have got a multi denomination debit card that you can spend almost any currency in the World and Wise will debit any currency you have on deposit. 

I'm regularly paid in US$ and in Euro and their transfer fees are ridiculously cheap.

Check out https://wise.com/

I don't need to use a debit card while abroad, although I can see that's it a good thing. I will check out Wise though. Thanks.