The drought appears to be over.... at least temporarily.

JDog

Out of habit rather than expectation I met up with my old shooting companion this morning.

Peas at this time of year can be a source of some sport but on my eight newly acquired fields there were no pigeons between the lot of them on Wednesday. So sure were we that we would be in the pub by midday I only loaded a gun and cartridges in his car, leaving the rest of my kit, dogs water and my own sustenance behind.

True to form the first seven fields had nary a pigeon between them. The local pub was drawing us like a magnet when we spotted a high line and pigeons imperceptibly dropping into the middle of a sixty acre field. There weren’t many but more than we had seen for months so we continued to watch.  

Bearing in mind the temperature was already in the twenties and the field would be difficult to shoot we prevaricated for ages before deciding to give it a go using a belt of overgrown hawthorn hedging and the odd ash tree as shade. We were nowhere near the sweet spot where the pigeons wanted to be, nor were we on a line into the field but shade was the determining factor for our hide position.

We shared a hide. There was no alternative as my kit was five miles away. One rotary placed 40m out would have to do. Getting a partially thawed pair of pigeons on the rotary was amusing. We settled into nettles. My decision to wear shorts was a poor one. The dogs weren’t happy either.

Pigeons came from a great height and surprisingly decoyed well. We were both rusty and missed a few. ‘Doddlers’ became impossible for a while until abject embarrassment made us buck up our ideas.

In the first hour we shot twenty, in the second hour we shot thirty five but by that time we had no water and more importantly we had no more water for the dogs so we packed up.

On the way back in order to sort the dogs out we called in at a small stream so they could cool off. Through a secret gap in the hedge, along the overgrown bank we went only to be confronted by three very scantily clad ladies and two youths ‘sunbathing’. They soon covered up when three very wet spaniels charged along the river bank, over their towels and dived in. We allowed the dogs to repeat this three times until our amusement was satisfied. To give them credit all five of the strangers took our interruption in their stride.

Very good account of your unexpected afternoons sport , just seeing the Pigeons after weeks of been off the radar is the next best thing of getting on terms with them , our five fields of Peas are only a few days off before we see the first flowers and we are now seeing only a very small build up , I shoot one for around two to three hours every other day so they all get at least a week rest before I have another little go , by shooting the fields like this I keep what few that are going on off for a few days and any that come on after I finish for the day are left alone till I go on it again about a week later .

Today was the first time for weeks I had flys hanging about the few dead Pigeons I had in the hide that my dog had brought back , as I sell all the ones I get I stick them in the freezer as soon as I get home , this kill any eggs that had been laid and they will come out again on Monday so they arrive at the Pub nice and cool on Wednesday .   MM

Nothing better than an unexpected turnout when it comes to pigeon shooting….that will have been a nice busy two hours shooting Jdog, then off the field. It’s certainly hard going shooting in the heat for any length of time, plenty of water needed! 
I think you’ll be getting busier with those peas from now on.