Resin head walking staff

Shambam1962

A friend of friend is in the local walking club, and asked my wife if I could make a spaniel head walking staff for her, as she had a spaniel up until last summer, and it sadly passed away of old age.

I new my ability wouldn’t stretch to carving a spaniel in wood, but showed her a few different resin heads I had seen online and she was happy, and asked if I could paint it in a likeness to my young dog Max.

I received the resin head and was pleased with it, but the spigot on the base was very small and I had to make a tapered holly ferrule to suit the stick, and paint the head to look similar to my dog Max, which was a learning curve.

The stick was one of the nicest holly sticks I had with perfect intact bark, but she wanted the bark removed, and stained and varnished.

I completed the stick last night after doing a leather wrap grip on shank, and I’m surprised how it turned out.

I know it’s not a proper hand carved stick, but she’s pleased with end result.

IMG_2363.jpeg

IMG_1409.jpeg

IMG_1408.jpeg

IMG_1407.jpeg

IMG_3418.jpeg

IMG_3421.jpeg

Thanks holloway, wisdom and Bigbob for your comments.

I must admit I didn’t enjoy painting the head and found it quite stressful.

I wasn’t sure what acrylic paint to use and went to my local craft store , and was more confused on seeing the many brands on offer.

In the end I came away with a few tubes of Windsor & Newton acrylic paint .

I found the hardest part to replicate was the tip of the nose and the spots on his muzzle.

I was lucky to have the model just outside the door waiting patiently.

The stick has just been collected and the new owner is over the moon, and said it looks better than the photos I sent her.

IMG_3442.jpeg

IMG_1417.jpeg

Thanks, Yates & Mr grumpy for your comments.

I think, it’s a one off, for me though, and it looked half decent when completed.

I think I’ll stick with the wooden carved sticks for now and have just acquired a nice set of fallow antlers, so have a few ideas for future projects.

• 2 weeks later...