First drown flight over new hunting field.

NoBodyImportant

I spent the day digging stumps out of the new dove/deer field I’m building.  Took my new drone out with me.  It’s a Dji mini 3 pro.  The latest plan for the field is (2 acres of sunflower, 1 acre of millet, 1 acre of soybeans). I dug a spring pond on the front of the property but I might put a runoff pond back here also.  This property is showing really good potential with tons of deer.  I’m a little shaky with the controls but it’s the first time I flew it. 

30 minutes ago, London Best said:

Jealous!

May I ask, are you restricted (legally) how many deer you can take annually on your own, private land?

Not on private land.  6 deer on public park land in North Carolina.  But you can get extra tags for a small fee, or you could go across state lines to hunt in a different state.  I normally take the first medium size doe that crosses my rifle.  That gets me enough meat to last as my wife doesn’t eat straight deer other then jerky. So I buy the cheap fatty beef from Walmart and grind it together 50/50 to mask the wild game taste.  After I have meat in the freezer I will go back into the woods to watch for a nice buck.  I mostly let them walk unless a trophy buck walks out.   Back before my dog passed I would take two deer  to have some meat cubes to throw on the grill when we grilled so the dog would get a share of meat at the bbq.  

Edited by NoBodyImportant

Before I plant I’m definitely going to have to get the Turkey under control.  Last year I planted a small corn field and it was wiped out by them.  I had less than a 10% yield.  I would drive up to see 20-30 Turkey in the field digging my seed up.  I’m not a Turkey hunter as it’s not a meat I like but I’m going to take a few this year as well as a few friends are going to shoot over the new field.  Turkeys will eat there fill of seed then continue to dig seed out just to be an *** hole even though they are full. 

6 hours ago, London Best said:

Thanks for the replies. 
I once had an invitation to hunt Turkey with a friend in Alabama, but he sadly passed away (too young) before I could get out there. 

I eat grain fed Turkey from the store.  But wild turkey taste like grass and dirt.  When Turkey goes on sale I can buy it for 27cent a pound so unless you’re in it for the sport Turkey doesn’t make sense to hunt.  But the few times I went turkey hunting I had fun.  

5 hours ago, GREENGRASS said:

Looks a cracking location and awesome little drone, just be careful flying between you and the trees as you may lose signal.

Good luck and enjoy.

GG

I like it.  So far I haven’t had any trouble with it losing signal.  But Im still in the stage where I don’t like getting too far out of sight.  It’s rated for 10km though.  

I bet if you ground up the turkey and mixed in some chorizo it would make an interesting burger. Maybe a few other spices to add depth but everything taste better with chorizo. Same thing with sausages, grind it up, add stuffing, cranberry sauce etc and make some sausages. I've done that with chicken and its amazing. 

• 2 weeks later...