Beating on grouse moors

B725

Who beats with their dog on grouse moors, as I've never done but I am aware of the distance some have to cover how do the dogs fair especially when it is really hot. I assume that bottles of water are carried but isn't there a danger of the dogs over heating.

Yes it’s hard work and more so when hot. We always take gallons of water for the dogs but there are often plenty of burns and puddles to cool them off and allow them to drink. You and your dogs just have to be fit and stay hydrated. If it were that dangerous it wouldn’t be done would it.

I spent today picking up in Heather and bracken on a moor at a mere 24 degrees and we just made sure the dogs had a good soaking in the burns at every opportunity.

Edited by Dave at kelton

You have to think some breeds of dogs get hunted abroad in regular hot temps. 

Some of those HPR types etc, big long legs and thin short coats probably ideal. 

Im sure I saw or read something about spaniels being trialled in Texas, the author remarked that cockers seem to handle the heat better than springers I think. 

A major factory will be dogs being in fit good condition and not overweight. 

1 hour ago, Dave at kelton said:

Yes it’s hard work and more so when hot. We always take gallons of water for the dogs but there are often plenty of burns and puddles to cool them off and allow them to drink. You and your dogs just have to be fit and stay hydrated. If it were that dangerous it wouldn’t be done would it.

I spent today picking up in Heather and bracken on a moor at a mere 24 degrees and we just made sure the dogs had a good soaking in the burns at every opportunity.

Every day's a school day I didn't realise that there would be quite a few opportunities for the dog's to cool down, it was todays temperature here in mid Derbyshire it was 31 c that got me wondering. 

8 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

You have to think some breeds of dogs get hunted abroad in regular hot temps. 

Some of those HPR types etc, big long legs and thin short coats probably ideal. 

Im sure I saw or read something about spaniels being trialled in Texas, the author remarked that cockers seem to handle the heat better than springers I think. 

A major factory will be dogs being in fit good condition and not overweight. 

Never thought about dog's abroad all makes sense. 

1 hour ago, B725 said:

Every day's a school day I didn't realise that there would be quite a few opportunities for the dog's to cool down, it was todays temperature here in mid Derbyshire it was 31 c that got me wondering. 

Walking miles across rough terrain in 31 degree heat requires a high level of fitness for man and beast, I hate the heat so certainly not for me.  The weather is seriously changing Game Shooting.

I used to walk up grouse quite a bit.  There is usually plenty of water for dogs, but check with a regular to that moor as some are drier than others.  If it is hot, you don't want to carry water (weight) you won't need.  It is hard work at any time, and hot makes it worse.

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

I used to walk up grouse quite a bit.  There is usually plenty of water for dogs, but check with a regular to that moor as some are drier than others.  If it is hot, you don't want to carry water (weight) you won't need.  It is hard work at any time, and hot makes it worse.

Quite right. I know when we will have plenty of water for dogs to drink and cool off or not. High on the grouse moors I am on there is little so we take 20 litre drums in the pickups. Lower ground we are in the burns and deep pools. Yesterday my labs found a boggy bit up high with water where they could drink and lie in it to cool off. They are not stupid!

also remember we won’t have the same temperatures at altitude that many of you will experience elsewhere in the U.K.

12 hours ago, B725 said:

We must remember however that dogs used to being abroad are likely acclimatised to that heat and taking a dog not used to it could be an issue. 

33 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

taking a dog not used to it could be an issue.

Many years ago on a walked up grouse day in Wales (where it is hotter than the northern moors and can be very long thick heather as well - hard walking), someone took a rather stout unfit spaniel.  It was a very hot day, and rather than take things easy, the spaniel rushed around energetically for the first hour or so then 'conked out, laying down and refusing to move.  It's owner then had to carry him (and another beater/walker carried his gun) for the rest of the that session (i.e. probably until we got back to vehicles)  which may well have been an hour or more.  I think the spaniel was fine later - but it nearly killed the owner!

Experienced dogs (and owners) learn to pace themselves.

I picked up on Wednesday & it was steaming hot. The dogs kept going pretty well for all 5 drives. It wasn't a massive day with a lot of hunting for nothing & I'd only pick 10 brace or so, they had plenty of energy left for a bit of rabbit pegging. There's quite a bit of water about on the moors as it's been fairly wet at times this summer. As long as they can get in some water to cool off, they're fine.

On an average day according to my phone, I'll do 10km with about 50 floors climbing. The dogs will be doing at least 3 times this, it's hard graft.