Ticks On Wood Pigeons .

marsh man

We have all shot the odd poorly looking Pigeon's with lumps and bumps on there head and legs but I cannot recall getting one that had a number of large Ticks on it's body :hmm:

Well with it being far to hot to go shooting these last few days  I have spent most afternoons just going for walks on the shaded side of the hedge rows , yesterday I went out and it was scorching so I gave my dog a swim in the lake and then walked around a couple of stubble fields , walking down the hedge there was a Pigeon flapping in the tree to get out and then when it could leave the tree it could hardly fly across the field , my ole dog must had thought it was a wounded one so off he went and he caught it before it got half way across the field , I fully expected it to have a shot wound of sorts but no , it's head was covered in full size Ticks and the poor ole bird must had been in agony , a quick blow on the back of it's head with my stick quickly put the bird out of it'd misery , so the question today is , Have you shot a Pigeon that had a number of Ticks on it's body   ?    MM

Hi MM

Never seen a tick on a pigeon, could this be because they are meticulous preeners or if unfortunately they do become the host for a heavy tick infestation they succumb quickly and do not get off the floor as it appears in this case.

Seen them on hares, rabbits, dogs and humans but never a woody. 

Good man for putting it out of it's misery, best thing for it.

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

We have all shot the odd poorly looking Pigeon's with lumps and bumps on there head and legs but I cannot recall getting one that had a number of large Ticks on it's body 

Well with it being far to hot to go shooting these last few days  I have spent most afternoons just going for walks on the shaded side of the hedge rows , yesterday I went out and it was scorching so I gave my dog a swim in the lake and then walked around a couple of stubble fields , walking down the hedge there was a Pigeon flapping in the tree to get out and then when it could leave the tree it could hardly fly across the field , my ole dog must had thought it was a wounded one so off he went and he caught it before it got half way across the field , I fully expected it to have a shot wound of sorts but no , it's head was covered in full size Ticks and the poor ole bird must had been in agony , a quick blow on the back of it's head with my stick quickly put the bird out of it'd misery , so the question today is , Have you shot a Pigeon that had a number of Ticks on it's body   ?    MM

Good morning John,

Never seen ticks on pigeons before so that it a first. No doubt someone will be along with an answer. Well done for administering its last rights and to put it out of its misery.

However, whilst I agree that it was pretty hot yesterday, I made up my mind to go out for a couple of hours alongside a small shave of trees that I know would offer good shade and with a very light ENE breeze forecast, might even be bearable. I have shot this particular spot over the last couple of weeks, before and after the wheat was disced, with small bags of pigeons for my few hours out. I knew that I might get a shot or two of pigeons coming into the shade of the trees, so gave it a go. Just 5 minutes from home so there was nothing to lose. No decoys or gadgetry, just hide, seat, gun & cartridges.

As it turned out yesterday, being on the marsh there was a good breeze coming from right to left which made my two hours much more comfortable than could be imagined in the searing heat out in the sun. I took a freezer bag with those frozen ice thingies just in case I did get a pigeon or two to keep them cool. I ended my very short session of two hours with just 7 pigeon, but a most enjoyable and comfortable time it was. Sorry to slightly derail your initial thread.

OB

IMG_3824.JPG