suzy not a happy lady

Mrs Sweepy

coming back from my evening walk with sammy , we were suddenly met by a load of fireworks going off .well poor sammy did not know what to do .so i quicky got him home .unfortunately the firworks were from a house three doors up and not your normal garden ones .they had set them up in the field behind so they were quite big ones .when i got back to the house i tryed to get sammy in but all he wanted was hes kennel so he shot down the garden into it and layed on the floor shaking . i checked mits but my son was already in with her and she was ok. now these fireworks went on for half a hour .and for all that time sammy just layed on the floor scared . now we did not know these fireworks were going to happen nice of the neighbours to tell us . could this have a long turn effect on sammy like make him gunshy.and as fireworks night is next week how can we make it more easliy for them as they are kennel dogs .and like i said sammy would not come into the house

one very cross suzy

They r only dog's if u dont like them crying and barking do away with them!.

But dont complain its ur choice to have them.

Eh? They're actually working dogs which are hugely valuable in the field not to mention being a gun's companion.

Are you mental? It would seem if you're not you know little of shooting and gundogs.

Eh? They're actually working dogs which are hugely valuable in the field not to mention being a gun's companion.

Are you mental? It would seem if you're not you know little of shooting and gundogs.

got to agree,my dog is my best pal and shooting companion and i think a little too much of her than to even dream of saying things like that let alone do it.

got to agree,my dog is my best pal and shooting companion and i think a little too much of her than to even dream of saying things like that let alone do it.

Ignorance of gundogs is tragically common and is a frustration of mine. Just wish that more people could see dogs working and the bond they have with a good handler / owner.

Though there are times I feel I could throttle my Cocker, i'd hate to think of how i'd be if anything happened to her and hearing people say things like 'do away with them' highlights the fact they have no respect for or understanding of animals and probably shouldn't be out shooting at all.

Ignorance of gundogs is tragically common and is a frustration of mine. Just wish that more people could see dogs working and the bond they have with a good handler / owner.

Though there are times I feel I could throttle my Cocker, i'd hate to think of how i'd be if anything happened to her and hearing people say things like 'do away with them' highlights the fact they have no respect for or understanding of animals and probably shouldn't be out shooting at all.

reading some articles on gundogs i dont think some people have respect for themselves let alone the poor animals that are serving them well.

cor, you lot get easily rattled. dont forget this is a forum and when people ask for advice and opinions they may not always be what you want to hear. not a great comment made but still someones opinion and for that they are entitled to it. why a whole page to flame the guy for posting?

cor, you lot get easily rattled. dont forget this is a forum and when people ask for advice and opinions they may not always be what you want to hear. not a great comment made but still someones opinion and for that they are entitled to it. why a whole page to flame the guy for posting?

I felt the need to post due to someone showing disrespect for someone caring about their dog. Yes everyone is entitled to their opinion and hence why i'm entitled to think he's an idiot.

Suzy was asking for advice.......

she was not asking to be told "IF YOU DONT LIKE THEM THEN GET RID OF THEM"

have you got dogs cartridge? i hope not.... :yes:

I felt the need to post due to someone showing disrespect for someone caring about their dog. Yes everyone is entitled to their opinion and hence why i'm entitled to think he's an idiot.

agree everyone has to have an oppinion and mine is he should not or does not deserve a dog to have his oppinion like that

first i would like to thank everyone who has stood up for me on this post . at no time in my post did i say that i was fed up or wanted rid of my dogs for their barking or crying .the reason i put the post on here was as i was concern for them.and yes everyone is entitle to there own opinions. cartridge i hold you no malice .

xxxxx suzy

p.s please let this be the end of this discussion THANK YOU

Our collie who is a working sheepdog was badly abused before we got him. He's awful nervous, you can't chop a spud in the kitchen without letting him out into the sitting room. Last night we'd the first round of fireworks, thanks to the local... Sorry my vocabulary doesn't go that far down to describe them. Anyway, as guessed he was dead scared.

Contrast that with today. I was rounding up my ewes on the hill to bring them into the fields and let the ram out. So all is going well, sheep are gathered and trailer and pen are close by. Next thing I spy two landies in a place they shouldn't be. BANG! BANG!.... BANG! BANG!... These shots are close by. First thought is ****! Bet the dog is heading for the hills.

To his credit, he didn't blink an eyelid :yes: kept with the sheep until we loaded them and wasn't in the least bit bothered! So, Magman I think it was said it, is right, the sound of fireworks and guns are different to dogs, at least in our Dustys case :yes:

If you don't fancy buying the startfire CD a cheaper alternative is to download some firework/gunfire/bang sounds online and make your own CD up. I've done this for my two, and they're sound as a pound with this years fireworks. Start it off nice and low, play it as much as you can, gradually build the volume up. Do this during your normal routine, when they're eating, when they're resting, make it like these sounds are a completely normal routine occurence.

Remembering if they ever show any signs that they don't like it take a step back, without making a fuss or pandering to them. I can't stress this part enough as soon as you start fussing you're re-enforcing their scared behaviour.

Just search for "sound effects" "firework sounds" that sort of thing. An album called "bbc - essential weather" is a good one to look for if you need some thunder or storm sounds.

You'll find these on most of your file sharing applications like soulseek etc.

Not much use for this years fireworks, but by next year you'll be 'reet.

If possible Mrs sweepy take him out for an evening walk when you know there are going to be fireworks. Try and get to a high position so he can see and hear them but quite far away. Then have plenty of treats etc about and just play with him as they go off and try and get him accustomed to them. A bit like introducing them to gunfire the first times are scary for them.

The other alternative is if you can't sort it is to get some ACP from the vet and dose him up but at this time of year you could end up doing it every evening for a fortnight