Packham/Shooters and braking the law

old'un

looking at the thread on Packham and braking the law, this made me think about how far we (shooters) would/could go if Labour gets into power and tries to ban all guns or makes it almost impossible for the average person to acquire a SGC/FAC.

Keeping in mind that a criminal record makes it harder to acquire a certificate, how far would you go?? and I guess the big question is, what could we do??

As some of the most responsible in society we must be seen to uphold any laws - even ones we believe may be daft

If we want changes to laws we must follow the correct procedure

I am engaging with MPs to highlight the good shooting, fishing and indeed hunting does and did 

Not for my benefit - but for that of future generations and wildlife and countryside in general

Simply act now and lets not get caught napping 

1 hour ago, jall25 said:

As some of the most responsible in society we must be seen to uphold any laws - even ones we believe may be daft

If we want changes to laws we must follow the correct procedure

I am engaging with MPs to highlight the good shooting, fishing and indeed hunting does and did 

Not for my benefit - but for that of future generations and wildlife and countryside in general

Simply act now and lets not get caught napping 

I have seen some of your threads and the good work you do for shooting, well done, :good: but I am talking when push comes to shove, when our backs are against the wall, lets face it, if Labour comes to power and they do go down the road of banning us toff’s from owning guns and blasting birds out of the sky for fun as they put it, I think they will get the backing of the general public, no matter how many MP’s you invite onto your shoot.

Unfortunately, it's very likely that Labour will win the next election. Almost certain in fact. Only a huge scandal involving Keir Starmer can really prevent it now. The best we can hope for is no Labour majority, but even that's slim.

For anyone looking to fight back against uninformed ideas, here's some of the proposals suggested by various members of the Labour party in the past 2 years (many of which discussed in the recent firearms consultation):

- Banning pump action shotguns

- Banning pump action shotguns from being stored at home

- Club/clay shooters having to store their guns at a club

- Banning bullets/cartridges from being stored at home (this one has been mentioned many times over the years)

- Increase in the cost of applying/renewing SGC/FAC (as high as a 8x increase has been suggested)

- Making shotguns Section 1 firearms

- Requiring a certificate for sub 12lb air rifles

In my opinion, if an incident even remotely similar to Keyham happens when Labour are in power then we'll be lucky to avoid at least some of the above being implemented.

I spoke to my local conservative MP a couple of months ago regarding the firearms consultation and he told me directly that he believes that any new proposed restrictions need to be evidence-based, and not to unnecessarily infringe on the rights of shooters. You would never hear such words from a member of the Labour party.

I understand that a lot of people here hold negative opinions of the Tories and their history with gun control. However, the fact remains that in 2023 that Labour are an anti-gun party. The Tories might not be pro-gun, but they're not actively looking to implement absurd restrictions like Labour are. Everyone is free to vote for who they like, but I think if you are a shooter who is even slightly bothered about being allowed to continue shooting then you would be a lunatic to vote for Labour.

4 hours ago, old'un said:

I have seen some of your threads and the good work you do for shooting, well done, :good: but I am talking when push comes to shove, when our backs are against the wall, lets face it, if Labour comes to power and they do go down the road of banning us toff’s from owning guns and blasting birds out of the sky for fun as they put it, I think they will get the backing of the general public, no matter how many MP’s you invite onto your shoot.

Thanks Ol Un

Like us all - i love our life style

Just reading the news about NRW doing away with their proposals so take a bit of heart that we can and do still have significant influence as a community 

1 hour ago, Good shot? said:

F3762611-F28A-4BE0-9DD4-083842F0BC9A.jpeg.1518f13702b70b4c384b929ba2468dea.jpegI recorded Packams program intending to watch it later but struggling to force myself to do so as I cannot stand the man.

Has any one seen the pics of him wearing is thick, thick soled shoes.

It says  a lot about his personality.

I did the same and watched it over the weekend. It wasn't too bad to watch, but he was being very melodramatic and obviously self-centred !!! I was laughing most of the way through it TBH and my opinion of him has diminished even more,,,, the guy is a male chicken, without the "erel" 🙄 to put it very mildly 🥴😂