Hedge ID

walshie

We've got a gap in our hedge and wanted to fill the gap with the same hedging. The bloke at the garden centre assured us it was common dogwood and ordered us some in but on collecting it today it looks nothing like it. The common dogwood he ordered has pointed leaves and red stems. The stuff we have has round leaves and brown stems.

This is what we have. Anyone know type of dogwood it is, or if it is even dogwood at all? 

Ta.

IMG_20230925_130552242_HDR.jpg.7cfadf3abf8e154630195027fe1ad808.jpg 

2 hours ago, Windswept said:

Your photo looks like common dogwood to me, Latin name Cornus sanguinea. It is quite variable and over the years cultivars have been bred that have more vivid stems and leaves, so the garden center stuff could be the same plant.

We have a massive bush of the stuff the garden centre had at the end of our garden which they said was red dogwood.. Bright red stems and thin pointy leaves. So maybe a cultivar of the common? So confusing. 

2 hours ago, JDog said:

Look up Cornus Stolonifera flaviramea.

Put up some pictures of the older stems.

Yellow dogwood. Dont think its that. Our stems just look a woody colour.

IMG_20230925_164120041.jpg

IMG_20230925_164131556.jpg

31 minutes ago, JDog said:

Now I see it more clearly I believe it is Alnus glutinous- Alder.

I think there's more than one tree in the pics. The first photo, the twig on the laptop, looks like a dogwood because of the flowers. Some of mine have green or brown stems, mostly new growth but also some grown in the shade. Most does have reddish stems though.

The 2nd photo does look like alder, the third I would say dogwood again.

43 minutes ago, JDog said:

Now I see it more clearly I believe it is Alnus glutinous- Alder.

Yes. My bad. The hedge goes alder, dogwood, alder, dogwood,  👍

41 minutes ago, snow white said:

According to my phone it’s common dogwood 

Mine too.

Edited by walshie

11 minutes ago, Windswept said:

I think there's more than one tree in the pics. The first photo, the twig on the laptop, looks like a dogwood because of the flowers. Some of mine have green or brown stems, mostly new growth but also some grown in the shade. Most does have reddish stems though.

The 2nd photo does look like alder, the third I would say dogwood again.

Well spotted. On closer examination the hedge alternates alder, dogwood, alder. Etc.

Edited by walshie

Didn't get the chance yesterday to put up the 2 different (but maybe the same) dogwoods side by side, so here they are.

Top photo is what the garden centre called "red dogwood" and the bottom photo is what they called "common dogwood" - also identified by members here as common dogwood. They look nothing alike.

When the garden centre ordered some common dogwood in for us, it was the same as the red dogwood. 

Rather than try to order some more common dogwood and maybe get the red stuff we already have again, I'm going to transplant some of the stuff we already have into the hedge and save some money.

It's a tricky one, but thanks for everyone's replies. :good:

IMG_20230926_131527933_HDR.jpg.33be25a58cac4e1dedfa8d5644902d19.jpg

IMG_20230926_131616096_HDR.jpg.72d9dcc7f44bcf0b6b5d9f4b006e19bd.jpg

Edited by walshie

On 25/09/2023 at 13:14, walshie said:

We've got a gap in our hedge and wanted to fill the gap with the same hedging. The bloke at the garden centre assured us it was common dogwood and ordered us some in but on collecting it today it looks nothing like it. The common dogwood he ordered has pointed leaves and red stems. The stuff we have has round leaves and brown stems.

This is what we have. Anyone know type of dogwood it is, or if it is even dogwood at all? 

Ta.

IMG_20230925_130552242_HDR.jpg.7cfadf3abf8e154630195027fe1ad808.jpg 

Red stems, Cornus Alba Sibirica?

Just take a "quick". That is pull off, leaving a heel attached, a sprouting branch and let it get started in a jar or water or, even better, say special rooting jelly. Some say dab the heel end with "rooting powder". That way you'll have the same species to fill that gap and only about a year behind (depending on your soil composition) than if you'd bought said plant. And FWIW how do you think the garden centre produce theirs?

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/10/2023 at 15:38, enfieldspares said:

Just take a "quick". That is pull off, leaving a heel attached, a sprouting branch and let it get started in a jar or water or, even better, say special rooting jelly. Some say dab the heel end with "rooting powder". That way you'll have the same species to fill that gap and only about a year behind (depending on your soil composition) than if you'd bought said plant. And FWIW how do you think the garden centre produce theirs?

Excellent idea. Thanks.👍

On 06/10/2023 at 17:32, old man said:

walshie, does it bear strawberry fruits?........... Cornus Kousa?

No. No fruits.