Crumpet Brunch

ditchman

Just as a "by the way", I saw on Facebook that an American tested the best method of cooking the perfect bacon rasher.

His conclusion was that sous vide, followed by a quick crisp in a frying pan produced crispy but juicy bacon and surpassed frying, grilling, griddling, oven baking, microwaving or air frying.

I've not tried it yet.

Edited by amateur

1 minute ago, amateur said:

Just as a "by the way", I saw on Facebook that an American tested the best method of cooking the perfect bacon rasher.

His conclusion was that sous vide, followed by a quick crisp in a frying pan produced crispy but juicy bacon and surpassed frying, grilling, griddling, oven baking or air frying.

I've not tried it yet.

Won't be getting that down 'Arry's Caff' 🙈😄

4 minutes ago, amateur said:

His conclusion was that sous vide, followed by a quick crisp in a frying pan produced crispy but juicy bacon and surpassed frying, grilling, griddling, oven baking or air frying.

I've not tried it yet.

My understanding was that 'sous-vide' was good where you wanted an even cook through a thicker item.  E.g., cook a steak sous-vide to say rare, cook at 50 - 52 C for long enough to heat evenly to that temperature right through (maybe 45 minutes or longer if a thick steak), then sear the outside quickly in a VERY hot pan (or even use a flame).  It works well, but I don't see it being so easy for thin cuts like bacon?

I often do mt bacon on a tray in the oven if I have it on.

12 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

My understanding was that 'sous-vide' was good where you wanted an even cook through a thicker item.  E.g., cook a steak sous-vide to say rare, cook at 50 - 52 C for long enough to heat evenly to that temperature right through (maybe 45 minutes or longer if a thick steak), then sear the outside quickly in a VERY hot pan (or even use a flame).  It works well, but I don't see it being so easy for thin cuts like bacon?

I often do mt bacon on a tray in the oven if I have it on.

I was as surprised as you that it might work. As I wrote above, I haven't tried it.

55 minutes ago, ditchman said:

what a bloody faff that is...........vacumn cooking over a long time................suppose it is alright if you have B***** all else to do......i will stick to cooking

I agree with you, but you have to admire the bloke's persistence to achieve a perfect result.