Steel explained, simply

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/11/2023 at 22:25, Sweet11-87 said:

it would seem they only make em in a 4,5 now but i bought a fair few and they are stamped with a big 3 on em.

I also have a slab of the same in 3's but when you cut one open it has 4's inside anyway when you check the shot size. What is also strange I had a single box of eley grand prix 4's and they were proper 4's inside. The box says 3's but the shot was the same as everyone else's 4's. They appear to have corrected in now though as they now advertise them as 4's.

2 hours ago, Johnny English said:

I also have a slab of the same in 3's but when you cut one open it has 4's inside anyway when you check the shot size. What is also strange I had a single box of eley grand prix 4's and they were proper 4's inside. The box says 3's but the shot was the same as everyone else's 4's. They appear to have corrected in now though as they now advertise them as 4's.

This reflects the advantages of the case made above in the pinned threads that shot sizes should be given as a measurement, say, in mms

I only started using steel this year, as it has been law to use it over wetlands since 1st September this year. (Rep of Ireland) Gamebore super steel 4's. Put the shot in front of the duck,  it will fold the same as been hit with lead.  Don't think or ponder too much about it . Just shoot the duck!.. 

1 hour ago, wymberley said:

This reflects the advantages of the case made above in the pinned threads that shot sizes should be given as a measurement, say, in mms

Absolutely, same goes for lead as well, all the difference between uk and continental sizes, just state it in mm then no ambiguity. I like a 2.75mm for game shooting nice compromise of pattern volume and hitting power for average game shooting.