contactless payments not safe

peejay

sister in law just been away to York for weekend, with neices, and couple of family. In the hotel they were staying the niece paid cash for rooms and sis in law paid via contactless card, her part of the payment was less than £100. After she paid she noticed bill wasnt as big as they were expecting, but they thaught they got it wrong. This morning she had notification from bank the hotel had took the £41 difference from her card, even though she hadnt put her details in... she immediatley rang hotel and asked how they can do this as she only did contactless, reply was we have your details.. Shes not disputing the £41 but it just goes to show that they dont need the 3 figure cvn code to get your money

If she left her bank details with the hotel either to pre-book the room or for another reason then as they say, they will have her details. 
Restaurants require a booking via a card to reserve a table; if they are then a no show the restaurant can take a pre-arranged amount from that card. 

21 minutes ago, Scully said:

If she left her bank details with the hotel either to pre-book the room or for another reason then as they say, they will have her details. 
Restaurants require a booking via a card to reserve a table; if they are then a no show the restaurant can take a pre-arranged amount from that card. 

niece booked the rooms, she just paid her part of the bill with contactless. thats the only time her card was used.

Edited by peejay

44 minutes ago, peejay said:

niece booked the rooms, she just paid her part of the bill with contactless. thats the only time her card was used.

As I say, to book a restaurant table or a hotel room you have to leave your card details with someone either on reception or online; I can only assume a card reader scans all the info’ on a card, other than that I wouldn’t know how they’ve done it. 
It’s obviously legit’ however. 

The idea of the security code is to verify that the person ordering either on line or by phone, has the card in their possession and is therefore presumed to be the rightful holder of the card. Contactless payment isn't concerned with the 3 digit code because the card holder is present when the card is scanned.

We went to a big steakhouse with another couple after a great meal i offered my debit card only for them to say the internet was down but i could leave my card number and pin number and it would be locked in there safe till the internet was restored . I replied your having a laugh where is the nearest cash line machine ? and drove into Edinburgh to get money .

14 hours ago, Bigbob said:

We went to a big steakhouse with another couple after a great meal i offered my debit card only for them to say the internet was down but i could leave my card number and pin number and it would be locked in there safe till the internet was restored . I replied your having a laugh where is the nearest cash line machine ? and drove into Edinburgh to get money .

You do not need the pin number or the CVD number to take a payment, you only need the card number and expiry date.

12 hours ago, Bigbob said:

It didnt matter i wasnt going to leave my card details locked in a safe or otherwise 

I fully agree with your sentiment, I also think the gesture of driving to get the cash instead of going back another day to settle the bill was also most honourable.

This is not a dig at you just an observation of peoples spending habits in general but I would have had the cash in my pocket in the first place.

Edited by sportsbob

12 hours ago, Bigbob said:

It didnt matter i wasnt going to leave my card details locked in a safe or otherwise 

In relation to a similar thing, if you filled your tank at a petrol station and had no way of paying I believe you are bound to give your details and return to pay. 

2 minutes ago, sportsbob said:

I fully agree with your sentiment, I also think the gesture of driving to get the cash instead of going back another day to settle the bill was also most honourable.

This is not a dig at you just an observation of peoples spending habits in general but I would have had the cash in my pocket in the first place.

You are in the vast minority as most people do not carry much cash these days

16 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

You are in the vast minority as most people do not carry much cash these days

I am aware of that as I own a High Street shop and the amount I pay in transaction fees is an eye watering amount every month, a large part of the fees are for people who don`t have £10 in their pockets. Independent Businesses need cash to survive but that doesn`t fit in with certain federation ideals.

Edited by sportsbob

7 minutes ago, sportsbob said:

I am aware of that as I own a High Street shop and the amount I pay in transaction fees is an eye watering amount every month, a large part of the fees are for people who don`t have £10 in their pockets. Independent Businesses need cash to survive but that doesn`t fit in with certain federation ideals.

I see, but I do not see it changing, do you?

2 hours ago, sportsbob said:

It was a birthday present my daughter and son in law where treating me i had £100 in vouchers for my birthday but we still needed about £150 as i had vouchers i wasnt prepared for that amount . But when i saw the menu i made the usually noises look at the price of that , but the daughter replied its your birthday if you want it just order it .It was a bloody good meal though and the card saga just helps me remember it LOL LOL