Shooting Weekend Away

Stu S

Some friends and I are thinking about taking a weekend away with our respective other halves to do some clay shooting, but at present have no real idea where to go.

Most of us are based in Suffolk, but one couple are based in Sheffield, and so we are looking to find somewhere that is equidistant for us all to get to. We want to go to a place that is relatively close to a town or city, and one that has a good range of targets and several disciplines on offer. I would particularly like to try the helice (if thats how you spell it!), if nothing more just to say that i have!

I was thinking about going at the end of January (a while away yet, but it will soon sneak up us!), and was thinking about somewhere in the midlands as a location (more towards the west midlands than the east), with some good accomodation in the local vacinity.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Stu

Yes bud, why not do Doveridge, brill ground, all the disiplines (except Helice) and not far away for doing two grounds on the same day then Kingsly Moor, or Shugborough, lots of cheap B&B, look up the fixtures and arrange the weekend around Doveridge, then next time get your mate to arrange a weekend further down south>!

World's End in tilbury?

Sounds like a right classy place, I always thought Tilbury was the worlds end

Oh its real classy- I see my first drive by shooting in there mixed with a few scuffles with blunt edged weapons.

Really quite an eye opener but it was the dancing girls which made me keep going back..............

Yes, Doveridge is your best bet, very easy to get to and you won't be disappointed with the targets there, as an added bonus you'll also get a bit of forced hill walking thrown in, great for working off that hangover..!! I think the nearest ground that has a Helice layout is the A1 at Borehamwood in Herts, so that's a no no for you.

Cat.

Guest The Outlaw

Give Dovey valley in Wales a bash. There are a group of 10 or 12 go there every year for 3 days of fantastic shooting. There are some really challenging simulated game targets up the mountain(via tractor and trailer) and lots of great targets set in the three valleys that meet at the bottom where the shop and cafe is built. If there is a target you want to shoot it willl be set up for you there with over 150 different stands and traps combined to give you the ultimate shoot. Along with walk ups and extreme sporting Skeet DTL ABT are also available We normally shoot 600 clays over 3 days and it costs about 18-20p per clay.They sell shells and are really nice people that can do a good bit of scoff as well.

Yes I agree with that, I have shot Dovey Valley many times over the last 8 years, I did not advise the ground in my earlier reply as it is not a easy trip for you guys down south, but ,as said by THE OUTLAW, its a great ground, in fact they have many caravans , etc to put you all up with for a weekends shooting. and with all the different layouts its a brilliant place to shoot.! plus If you do book up then advise me, and my wife and I will attend and I will help out iny any way I can as regards free coaching etc, cheers.

I have shot dovey valley a few times (my mate lives just outside abber)

Really nice people who run the shoot infact far to helpful, they just cant do enough for you!!!

If you are looking for a nice few days abber is about an hour away, good fishing, good pubs and full of drunken student girly types to relax watching at the end of the day!!!

Guest The Outlaw

Every year I go I always get 9/10 on the charity teal and win the wonger and give it back to the air ambulance, But this year I watched my mate straight it, not quite cricket as he had a second go at a dodgy no bird (Glynns fault) and again good old Phil dutyfully gave his well earned money back to the charity. The 10 eludes me still but it is a 50 yard teal sent up from 30 ft below you and away. Great fun. Tony

Dartford.

Good road access and plenty of hotel accomodation.

Good choice Dartford. There is also a few nice pubs in Tilbury nearby. Try the 'Worlds end' in Fort road for superb B&B and local entertainment.

I have to disagree here, the words "nice" and "Tilbury" do not sit well together

Andy