Mag 10

edenman

Recently I purchased an Ithaca mag 10. Factory cartridges are horrendously expensive and not exactly easy to get a hold of. So it was the home loading way for me. 10g components are getting harder and harder to find particularly plastic wads so I had to get 10g fibre wads from clay and game. After a bit of trial and error I was happy with the shells.

IMG_1650.jpeg.b44cd60c829651a23c0b0c9d7f2298f4.jpeg

This morning I went away down to my local estuary for my first go with it. First shot had a lovely drake pintail in the bag which was soon followed up by another 2. Great way to christen the mag10

IMG_1653.jpeg.a0cd56f2b5678b678720a9d6ffecd092.jpeg

Edited by edenman

2 hours ago, edenman said:

Recently I purchased an Ithaca mag 10. Factory cartridges are horrendously expensive and not exactly easy to get a hold of. So it was the home loading way for me. 10g components are getting harder and harder to find particularly plastic wads so I had to get 10g fibre wads from clay and game. After a bit of trial and error I was happy with the shells.

This morning I went away down to my local estuary for my first go with it. First shot had a lovely drake pintail in the bag which was soon followed up by another 2. Great way to christen the mag10

Great result with the pintail, do you use the shot cups and a nitro card

41 minutes ago, edenman said:

No I’m having to use plastic gas seals with the fibre shot cup which kinda defeats the purpose of the fibre cups but they were all I could get.

Yes that was my problem, no nitro cards, even bought a punch to push a few out but not sure i could find suitable material, but at least the plastic seal is small, anyway you proved the load works

3 hours ago, edenman said:

That is true. It does make me laugh the stick fowlers get for plastic cases and wads being left on shore however it’s a tiny amount compared to other non fowling related rubbish that litters our shores.

Indeed you can't move for plastic rubbish here, however it would be nice not to add to the pile. Did you straight swap the fibre cup for existing plastic recipes

9 hours ago, edenman said:

Lovely photo , my favorite duck , or should I said drake , well you know what I mean :drinks:            MERRY CHRISTMAS 

On 21/12/2023 at 14:44, islandgun said:

Yes that was my problem, no nitro cards, even bought a punch to push a few out but not sure i could find suitable material, but at least the plastic seal is small, anyway you proved the load works

The way around the plastic issue is to get in touch with Graham Deakin’s and buy one of his cup card making kits. This produce inverted wads similar to those in the old Winchester wildfowling loads and they work well. I have the kits in 8 & 10 bore.

3 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

The way around the plastic issue is to get in touch with Graham Deakin’s and buy one of his cup card making kits. This produce inverted wads similar to those in the old Winchester wildfowling loads and they work well. I have the kits in 8 & 10 bore.

Pardon my ignorance is Graham Deakins on PW, I just googled the name but came up with a footballer

On 21/12/2023 at 11:29, edenman said:

Beautiful pintail , well done 👍