Russian Gun Forum.

Velocette

As some may know, I'm a fan of Baikal SxS shotguns and recently bought a very early IZH54 which was made before they were titled "Baikal" and were designated "Izmech" after the factory name. In the course of my rummaging around the Internet looking for information I came across this site. Allowing for Google translation, its quite an eye opener for the way they discuss gun related matters and how they relate to life there.

https://forum.guns.ru/forummessage/147/752811-m26128981.html

6 minutes ago, Velocette said:

As some may know, I'm a fan of Baikal SxS shotguns and recently bought a very early IZH54 which was made before they were titled "Baikal" and were designated "Izmech" after the factory name. In the course of my rummaging around the Internet looking for information I came across this site. Allowing for Google translation, its quite an eye opener for the way they discuss gun related matters and how they relate to life there.

https://forum.guns.ru/forummessage/147/752811-m26128981.html

Unfortunately for me the link won't work 🤔

I haven't tried the link... BUT, coincidentally i've been reloading 20 gauge this evening AND i've dragged a single barrel  ~~18M out to test chamber a few random selected reloads to just make sure that they chamber ok.  I was given this tool when the owner decided to pack it all in. Because it is a single 20 and a big agricultural i've never used it very much considering that i'vegot a ton of other guns.  BUT it is chambered 3" and proved to 4tons ¤"  so it is strong. Now it is solid but you wouldn't want to put more than the odd heavy through it.  If it was cleaned and lubed regularly it would last several hundred years.  At least.!!

Edit. The two letters in front of the 18 look like a capital N backwards and he other ĺetter is like 2 capital Ks back to back

Edited by Minky

I just tried the link and it DOES work ..BUT it's in Russian, SO how to translate it.?  I don't see any control buttons.  MY LIMITED EXPERIENCE of Russian guns has shown that although they are a bit basic and a tool,  they are well made with chromed bores. There was one particular gun that had been really neglected and it stopped working.  I dismantled 5he gun for the guy and cleaned about a spoonful of sand/mud out of the action and away it went for more abuse.  Going way way back they did advertise top quality hand made BEST SbS sidelock guns but I've never seen any of them. 

Neither could I. I had a look on Wikipedia for the Russian alphabet and  it could be.. equated to,,,IZ 18M.  Not sure. Its Birmingham proofed 3" 4 tons □"

Found one online as IZH 18M

Right.. I found out how-to translate the  Russian text on that link when it opens.  I highlighted some of the text and a tab appeared at the bottom of the page which gave the option of Russian or  English.  Click on the English and the whole lot was in English.  I  read some of it but it  was written in a random sort of way that I couldn't get my head round.  It  was like a few people were having some sort of conversation about stuff.???

Edited by Minky

Translated it on iPhone.  They’re saying they’re decent, big heavy lumps of guns but the aim when government made was always how to make them cheaper, and it’s still that when the companies are privately run? 

It is all a bit ancient and quite tricky to make sense of the translation but I just found it interesting to read what people from quite a different culture had to say about their issues concerning their guns . A sort of Eastern Pigeonwatch in many ways.