Best SxS for clay shooting under £600

Cal50

2 hours ago, decoyman said:

AYA MATADOR SSTE.   Is I think the one people are trying to remember, but go the Winchester 23 route, or an old SKB sste.

I’ve a lonely SKB 200e SxS (made in Japan) lying dormant in the cabinet !!

Edited by Bobba

Any that fits you .Its  all down to the shooter .The greats like Percy Stanbury ( I've handled his gun) and Joe Wheatear shot with 28" , no multi chokes , adjustable combs stick on high ribs ,florescent bead sights or other gadgets .No need for beavertail forends or pistol grips unless thats what you like .

Just buy a gun in as good original condition as you can find that you like .

Only one point I would make, is that a gun chambered for 2&3/4" will be an advantage , being easier to get cartridges at a clay ground 

1 hour ago, HantsRob said:

Get the old lady out and give her a stretch sometime! I bet she shoots like a dream! I'm a little jealous :)

Thank you. Even with a Kickeezee recoil pad and light carts she kicks a bit for me. That’s why she’s dormant. Must be me age - I won’t see 80 again 😵💫

What I would say is that many old, and not so old, SBS have way way too much "drop" for modern clays. The BSA SKB 200 and 200E have, in respect of the ones I have seen and the two that I have owned, too much drop at the heel. Which is why for some they do kick the cheek. So to try before you buy on a simple going away bird is vital. This will tell you if the cast is good for you and also, to a degree, if the drop is good. A simple going away bird is just that going straight away from the shooter with them almost standing directly behind the trap (or as near as safely possible if using a human trapper). A round of DTL is not a "simple going away bird".

Edited by enfieldspares

On 01/02/2024 at 21:15, Bobba said:

Thank you. Even with a Kickeezee recoil pad and light carts she kicks a bit for me. That’s why she’s dormant. Must be me age - I won’t see 80 again 😵💫

I hope she finds a good home once you let her go, I bet she's still a fun old girl even if she kicks like a mule!

Good explanation from @enfieldspares, thankyou!