Labours plan for gun licensing

53 minutes ago, Genghis said:

The future of shooting looks really grim under Labour. Not enough attention is being paid to Luke Pollard, who still is pushing for a ban on pump actions and has floated the idea of guns being banned from being stored at home.

The same argument is presented by him and his supporters all the time - ‘only farmers need guns’. If any notable shooting incident happens while Labour are in power, I genuinely believe we’ll see the end of shooting for the majority of the country.

No shooting man should vote Labour.

no SANE man should vote labour 

1 hour ago, HantsRob said:

A persons life can massively change in 5 years. Consider domestic abuse, mental ill health, losing a job and becoming insolvent, or just having lots of issue with the neighbours. I do understand that if literally nothing has changed it should be a quick check, but the full checks will still be required to adhere to a standard of safety. 

Yes, but that’s an ongoing process.  Any changes within that 5 years which are notifiable or become  known to licensing via the police, are dealt with as they occur; it’s not like nothing is said for 5 years and it comes as a complete surprise to authorities. 

On 25/01/2024 at 11:53, Scully said:

I can’t figure out ( medical checks not withstanding ) why it should take any longer nor be more expensive than issuing a passport. 

Exactly.

21 hours ago, Boristhedog said:

‘kill off a lot of Sunday once a month shooters which we don’t need’

Why don’t we need them? What’s wrong with shooting once a month, be it clays or live quarry? Some people have very busy lives, work, family other hobbies  etc and can only find time once a month. How does it harm other shooters who can spend more time shooting?  

You have the wrong end of the stick, Boris.

19 hours ago, London Best said:

I have been saying this for years, and have previously posted those exact words on this forum........somewhere.

Something that I have stuck to since being able to vote.

18 hours ago, Zoli 12 guage said:

no SANE man should vote labour 

Often mentioned these days is that it's no longer a struggle between left and right in politics, but between the sane and the insane.

19 hours ago, Windswept said:

Most, if not all of that, is notified to your licencing authority already and, if serious enough to prevent renewal, it would mean revocation of your current licence.

I thought that was one of the main benefits of moving to a 10 year licence, give the police more time to monitor existing licence holders and revoke licences if necessary. 

18 hours ago, Scully said:

Yes, but that’s an ongoing process.  Any changes within that 5 years which are notifiable or become  known to licensing via the police, are dealt with as they occur; it’s not like nothing is said for 5 years and it comes as a complete surprise to authorities. 

To both of you,

When that truly is effective and seamless I would agree with you both. I believe a streamlined process should also allow for interim reviews. But, don't forget this is part of the "zero cost" style licence fee, which will not actually count towards issue and re-issue. It will also include change of addresses (inspections), ad-hoc issues that arise that require investigation, court prep and court time etc. 

I am all for a licence model that's more streamlined, but if we get to SLA driven then mistakes can be made. I don't disagree with any of you in theory and you're correct in an ideal world. Plymouth is an example of how it hasn't worked, and how the model needs fixing.

Another slant on this we are not allowed to shoot or practice shooting but we may need to join “Dads Army” because is that nutter putin ?

correct me if I a wrong wasn’t Skeet invented to teach “lead” to pilots in the Second World War ?

Agriv8

1 hour ago, HantsRob said:

I believe a streamlined process should also allow for interim reviews. But, don't forget this is part of the "zero cost" style licence fee, which will not actually count towards issue and re-issue. It will also include change of addresses (inspections), ad-hoc issues that arise that require investigation, court prep and court time etc. 

I don't quite follow. I'm not talking about changes but referring to how the current system works, or should work. It might also be worth noting that inspections are not always done on renewals or moves but can be ad-hoc currently. I still can't think of anything that would stop a renewal but allow someone to keep their current certificate. 

There seems to be a good argument for raising the fees inline with inflation over the last few years but it's also worth noting some forces process certs for the fraction of the cost of others (see old BASC news stories for details).