Stuffed fox

scobydog

2 hours ago, scobydog said:

Hi All,

After a cheap stuffed taxidermy fox, preferably in a standing position.  As close to Manchester as possible. 

thanks 

scobydog

Have a look in pear mill stockport in the vintage emporium or antique world in Failsworth 👍

1 hour ago, snarepeg said:

Shot a lot of carrion over a stuffed fox, cats as well.

Meant a stuffed cat😳

:lol:

1 hour ago, steve_b_wales said:

I used a skinned and tanned fox pelt that I attached chicken wire to strengthen it, and metal spikes attached to the legs to allow it to stand up. It worked well on 99% of Corvids.

This is the plan, hence a cheap one as it will be used in all westhers.

S

Weathers 

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

Melb3 does a cracking stuffed hamster

You're a very bad man 😈 😁.

I used to use a kids soft cuddly pine marten , that had a wagging tail . I stuck on a pair of big eyes , and would place it on top of a gate post , with a crow decoy at the base. It always worked very well , and would get the corvids really worked up.

On 03/02/2024 at 16:04, mel b3 said:

You're a very bad man 😈 😁.

I used to use a kids soft cuddly pine marten , that had a wagging tail . I stuck on a pair of big eyes , and would place it on top of a gate post , with a crow decoy at the base. It always worked very well , and would get the corvids really worked up.

I've also used one of the Eagle Owl decoys. I placed it on a post with a dead Crow tied to its feet and feathers all around. It worked many times.

12 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

I've also used one of the Eagle Owl decoys. I placed it on a post with a dead Crow tied to its feet and feathers all around. It worked many times.

On 04/02/2024 at 10:08, shotgun tim said:

place it out frozen stood up 

Does this attract other crows into it as a decoy as such? Never heard of it being done before 

25 minutes ago, Stephen-H said:

Does this attract other crows into it as a decoy as such? Never heard of it being done before 

Hi Stephen,

Yes, it attracts other corvids in especially if you can replicate the sound of a rook/crow etc in distress, they don't like there own being attacked or killed.

S

14 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

I've seen the Eagle owl decoys used as crow scarers . They really got the crows going for a couple of days.

I do a fair bit of corvid shooting,  so I might try to rig up some kind of furry looking predator,  with a moving crow at its feet.

14 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

I've seen the Eagle owl decoys used as crow scarers . They really got the crows going for a couple of days.

I do a fair bit of corvid shooting,  so I might try to rig up some kind of furry looking predator,  with a moving crow at its feet.

You could use fishing line tied to the dead bird and pull at it from your hide etc.

26 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

You could use fishing line tied to the dead bird and pull at it from your hide etc.

You know me Steve,  I'm far too lazy for that 😄.

I've got one of the old pecking percy pigeon peckers , that Paul Hart used to sell years ago . A full bodied crow decoy , set low to the ground , would look like it was limping . 

4 hours ago, scobydog said:

Hi Stephen,

Yes, it attracts other corvids in especially if you can replicate the sound of a rook/crow etc in distress, they don't like there own being attacked or killed.

S

Interesting! I've always used the sillosock decoys , pigeon flapper & put the dead birds out propped up & use a crow call nice to know of another way to decoy them 👍 

53 minutes ago, Stephen-H said:

Interesting! I've always used the sillosock decoys , pigeon flapper & put the dead birds out propped up & use a crow call nice to know of another way to decoy them 👍 

Unfortunately the corvids where i'm going have now become very wise to the usual decoying, random or patterns, flapper, spinners etc, just going to try something different to see if i can draw them in. You do get the occasional young one that falls for it but the vast majority now steer well clear, need an anti air craft for some of them they circle around that high lol.

s

5 hours ago, mel b3 said:

You know me Steve,  I'm far too lazy for that 😄.

I've got one of the old pecking percy pigeon peckers , that Paul Hart used to sell years ago . A full bodied crow decoy , set low to the ground , would look like it was limping . 

I've also got (somewhere) one of the pecking cradles that a dead bird can attach to. I;ll have to dig it out.

7 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

I've also got (somewhere) one of the pecking cradles that a dead bird can attach to. I;ll have to dig it out.

I reckon that should work as well Steve. Anything for a bit of movement. 👍