Shooting on clay shooting grounds with no SGC

Bobba

Thank you one and all. By chance I visited the clay ground last Sunday and asked the question. The response was yes, he could use their ground under their licence accompanied by  an experienced SGC holder

18 hours ago, rbrowning2 said:

any help?

It is an offence to sell cartridges to someone without seeing their shotgun certificate, except where the recipient is a Crown servant or where a person produces a certificate authorising another person to possess such a gun, together with that person’s written authority to purchase the ammunition on his behalf.

from

https://basc.org.uk/firearms/shotgun-safety/

That's on a few pages which seem to have cut and pasted from each other. 

Again, nothing in the firearms act says anything of the sorts.

12 hours ago, Newbie to this said:

I'm assuming this would be covered under the section 11 exemption.

No, it would not.

S.11 of the Firearms act, 1968 (updated 2/5/17)

11 Sports, athletics and other approved activities.

(1)A person carrying a firearm or ammunition belonging to another person holding a certificate under this Act may, without himself holding such a certificate, have in his possession that firearm or ammunition under instructions from, and for the use of, that other person for sporting purposes only [F1; but where the person carrying the firearm or ammunition is under the age of eighteen, this subsection applies only if the other person is of or over the age of eighteen] .

(2)A person [F2of or over the age of eighteen] may, without holding a certificate, have a firearm in his possession at an athletic meeting for the purpose of starting races at that meeting.

(3). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

(4)A person conducting or carrying on a miniature rifle range (whether for a rifle club or otherwise) or shooting gallery at which no firearms are used other than air weapons or miniature rifles not exceeding ·23 inch calibre may, without holding a certificate, have in his possession, or purchase or acquire, such miniature rifles and ammunition suitable therefor; and any person may, without holding a certificate, use any such rifle and ammunition at such a range or gallery.

(5). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

(6)A person may, without holding a shot gun certificate, use a shot gun at a time and place approved for shooting at artificial targets by the chief officer of police for the area in which that place is situated.

(11(3) repealed (1.4.1997) by 1996 c. 46, s. 35(2), Sch. 7 Pt. III; S.I. 1997/304, art. 2, Sch. 1

11(5) omitted (31.1.2017 for specified purposes, 2.5.2017 in so far as not already in force) by virtue of Policing and Crime Act 2017 (c. 3), ss. 130(2)(a), 183(1)(5)(e); S.I. 2017/399, reg. 4(f))

1 hour ago, Bobba said:

Thank you one and all. By chance I visited the clay ground last Sunday and asked the question. The response was yes, he could use their ground under their licence accompanied by  an experienced SGC holder

Fantastic, I hope you have lots of very happy shooting together!

2 hours ago, Gordon R said:

Yes, but that contradicts the BASC view.

As I understand it, it is section 5 Restriction on sale of ammunition for smooth-bore guns from the Firearms (Amendment) Act 1988.

The section 1 reference to the principal act refers to shotgun ammunition that is classified as section 1 like slugs.

The offence is to sell so the person with the certificate can buy them and the give them to the person who is shooting with them. However I know of no case where anybody has been convicted when buying cartridges for use at a clay ground operating under section 11(6) exemption.  After all how can you use the shotgun without cartridges.

Full text.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/45/enacted?view=plain

5Restriction on sale of ammunition for smooth-bore gunshots

(1)This section applies to ammunition to which section 1 of the principal Act does not apply and which is capable of being used in a shot gun or in a smooth-bore gun to which that section applies.

(2)It is an offence for a person to sell any such ammunition to another person in the United Kingdom who is neither a registered firearms dealer nor a person who sells such ammunition by way of trade or business unless that other person—

(a)produces a certificate authorising him to possess a gun of a kind mentioned in subsection (1) above; or

(b)shows that he is by virtue of that Act or this Act entitled to have possession of such a gun without holding a certificate; or

(c)produces a certificate authorising another person to possess such a gun, together with that person’s written authority to purchase the ammunition on his behalf.

(3)An offence under this section shall be punishable on summary conviction with imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months or a fine not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale or both.

5 hours ago, rbrowning2 said:

(b)shows that he is by virtue of that Act or this Act entitled to have possession of such a gun without holding a certificate; or

This is the bit that covers the sale of cartridges, to someone at a ground, shooting under the section 11 exemption then?

Edited by Newbie to this