Licked it off again πŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ™„

4 hours ago, Ian willetts said:

Half grownΒ 

Really ? Better get a bigger trap for his dad then πŸ˜‰

21 hours ago, old'un said:

if the rat puts one paw on the plate it should go off, if its set right? Anyway forget baits, just place it in a run, you will catch it 100%

Β 

How do you find a run in a wood store?

19 hours ago, old'un said:

also the trap should not be in the open as it could catch anything that gets in the shed, it also maybe illegal?

Thought you said put it on a run πŸ€”

23 hours ago, Scully said:

Or file down the sear? Thats what I did. πŸ‘

And tie the bait on. I have found that a bit of bacon works well.

These are ace, but need pegging down as they can throw the rat out when triggered if not.

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcQL-QClzQ3e69nPD7uWftC7lB0m3K6mfrfKIIyHp9BvWpT8r8asd9pOyQ0tpcSd0byP1-cgB9Z3tQxZVt2jveRLorH0bt_gLPjUg2sOgh8_QkvSdUhRcPZ9

11 minutes ago, Rim Fire said:

Always put my traps in a tunnel it stops them from coming from the side onto the plate also put a front and back pop hole for them to enter it stops Hedgehogs getting caughtΒ 

That was my question in the craft section what size hole? I think I might use 3" hole in both ends and one in the top.

11 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

That was my question in the craft section what size hole? I think I might use 3" hole in both ends and one in the top.

should be plenty i put one in top as an inspection hatch then you don't have to lift the box to check if the trap has gone off just put a brick on top it will help weigh the box downΒ 

Edited by Rim Fire

2 hours ago, Penelope said:

And tie the bait on. I have found that a bit of bacon works well.

These are ace, but need pegging down as they can throw the rat out when triggered if not.

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcQL-QClzQ3e69nPD7uWftC7lB0m3K6mfrfKIIyHp9BvWpT8r8asd9pOyQ0tpcSd0byP1-cgB9Z3tQxZVt2jveRLorH0bt_gLPjUg2sOgh8_QkvSdUhRcPZ9

Tie a piece of cloth onto the bait spike and then rub peanut butter into itπŸ‘

3 minutes ago, Rim Fire said:

should be plenty i put one in top as an inspection hatch then you don't have to lift the box to check if the trap has gone off just put a brick on top it will help weigh the box downΒ 

πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

Just now, Bigbob said:

Was going to say you sure it isn't mice or slugs licking the bait offΒ 

I have no idea to be honest I just presumed it was the rats because I saw one πŸ€”

Not seen any snail/slug trails either.

When you put it in a tunnel i put a coloured cable tie on the round jaw drill a hole threw the wooden tunnel so i can feed the cable tie out and if you cant see the cable tie the trap has sprung , A great way of checking your traps without getting your scent over them and without bendingΒ Β 

33 minutes ago, Bigbob said:

When you put it in a tunnel i put a coloured cable tie on the round jaw drill a hole threw the wooden tunnel so i can feed the cable tie out and if you cant see the cable tie the trap has sprung , A great way of checking your traps without getting your scent over them and without bendingΒ Β 

Good idea πŸ’‘ πŸ‘ I've made the box but need to drill three 3" holes one in either end and one in the top, oh and one for the cable tie πŸ˜‰

2 hours ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Good idea πŸ’‘ πŸ‘ I've made the box but need to drill three 3" holes one in either end and one in the top, oh and one for the cable tie πŸ˜‰

I use plastic garden plantersΒ  just drill a hole each end and a small one for the cable tie , I try to use green ones but you can spray paint them and they never rotΒ 

33 minutes ago, Bigbob said:

I use plastic garden plantersΒ  just drill a hole each end and a small one for the cable tie , I try to use green ones but you can spray paint them and they never rotΒ 

Good idea πŸ’‘ πŸ‘ πŸ‘ŒΒ 

Next time πŸ‘πŸ‘

18 hours ago, harrycatcat1 said:

I'd only put one hole in, and put the bait past the trap so the rat climbs over to get to it, looks like you only just caught it πŸ‘

2 hours ago, Mice! said:

I'd only put one hole in, and put the bait past the trap so the rat climbs over to get to it, looks like you only just caught it πŸ‘

Yes know what you mean but I think because the trap was on top of the wood pile "he" was able to come at the trap from the side. The box is only a fraction wider than the trap so any customer has to go over not from the side.

I will take a picture of the set up when the holes are drilled πŸ˜‰πŸ‘

Β 

3 hours ago, Mice! said:

if you put a hole both ends the customer can see straight through which they like as it appears to be an escape route plusΒ  if you make the tunnel long enough you can put two traps in it back to backΒ Β 

2 hours ago, Rim Fire said:

if you put a hole both ends the customer can see straight through which they like as it appears to be an escape route plusΒ  if you make the tunnel long enough you can put two traps in it back to backΒ Β 

I'm going to put a hole in either end and one in the top of the Mk1 trial trap box πŸ“¦ Might make the next one a "double" length wiseπŸ‘ Mk1 is built ready for the holes to be drilled.

9 minutes ago, Bigbob said:

Next question do you sit the fen flush with ground level , Or do you just sit it on the ground raised so the prey try's to jump over it hits it harder to set it off ?. Either or both workΒ 

πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

2 hours ago, Rim Fire said:

Tunnel traps I've seen others use only have on entrance πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ but two traps sounds good.

11 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Tunnel traps I've seen others use only have on entrance πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ but two traps sounds good.

I have no experience in this field but I will give it a whirl, it didn't cost owt I had the bits of off cuts of plywood in the shed πŸ˜‰πŸ‘