Ruger - Zeroing Part Deux

ShaggyRS6

Took it out today. No wind perfect. Really enjoyed myself. I had the rifle shooting great at 35 Yards, grouping well within a 50 pence peice.

Then moved out to 125 yards (and this is where being a newbie got the better of me) was firing but then could not see where I had hit :lol: I took binoculars with me but I really needed by spotting scope. Without that it became obvious to me very quickly that I did not stand a chance. That or I would get very fit walking back and fourth.

So, next time out I will take my scope on a tripod :) Lesson Learnt.

One good thing though :P more luck I think than judgement. the last shot I fired at 125 was dead center on those bisley targets. It actuallu made the same size hole through the number 6 in the center :)

Great day though. I guess next time I will have it zeroed, then I can bunny bust.

I did not put the trigger kit on as I am **** at doing things like that. I dont spose there is anyone local who can give me a hand?

cheers

Then moved out to 125 yards (and this is where being a newbie got the better of me) was firing but then could not see where I had hit :) I took binoculars with me but I really needed by spotting scope. Without that it became obvious to me very quickly that I did not stand a chance. That or I would get very fit walking back and fourth.

cheers

although quite expensive these are well worth it :lol:

http://www.targetsports.co.uk/product_info...products_id=383

You want to be looking around 100yds for a zero but your probably best focusing on finding out if you / ammo and the rifle can perform consistantly @ 50yds befroe stretching the legs .

A good tip is to eliminate yourself from the equation by using a front and rear rest taking all the wobble out as well . :P

Then moved out to 125 yards (and this is where being a newbie got the better of me) was firing but then could not see where I had hit :) I took binoculars with me but I really needed by spotting scope. Without that it became obvious to me very quickly that I did not stand a chance. That or I would get very fit walking back and fourth.

cheers

although quite expensive these are well worth it :lol:

http://www.targetsports.co.uk/product_info...products_id=383

You want to be looking around 100yds for a zero but your probably best focusing on finding out if you / ammo and the rifle can perform consistantly @ 50yds befroe stretching the legs .

A good tip is to eliminate yourself from the equation by using a front and rear rest taking all the wobble out as well . :P

Good tip Dead eye. I was just using the Bipod, no other rest. 35 Yards I was rock solid. I have no doubt that I will be the same at 50. 125 was a Different matter cos I could not see what the round was doing, thats where i needed the scope.

Can you guys reccomend a way of holding the targets up? I was using drawning pins in a target against a wooden telephone pylon. I want something I can stick in the ground. Also I am after a rucksack/backpack.

i am taking a whole load of gear with me as I always take my shotty too. Suggestions would be great :lol:

Can you guys reccomend a way of holding the targets up? I was using drawning pins in a target against a wooden telephone pylon.

:lol::P:) ............Understand where your coming from but it's not ideal and I'm not surprised you've had a richochet .You need a better backstop and seeing has I don't know the lie of the land I would reccomend a earth mound .Anything other than a telephone pole :)

Has for the issue of wieght I would ditch the Shotgun ,concentrate on one thing only until your happy with your new Toy B)

Don't shoot at a hard cylindrical object such as a telegraph pole. If you clip the side of it you are almost certain to get a ricochet. As Ive says, shoot into an earth mound. If possible, shoot down into it from an elevated position.

I zero my rifle against a bloody huge great bit of whitewashed plywood, and I staple various targets on it. I've got all the distances for rimfire and centrefire pegged out on a field, as I can leave the board up permanently against the earth bank. If plywood isn't practical, staple a sheet of canvas between two pole that can be rammed into the earth, with the fabric spanning the gap. Much more portable.

And take your time. If the barrel starts to over-heat from over-zealous use, the shots will start stringing.

dont worry Lee, next time ill hold the target for ya :lol: , im tied up the next few weekends but ill get out with you soon mate, ill be your spotter..

you could try to get hold of some sand bags and leave them on the farm somewere, they should make good backstops

Whilst over there i did find a really good backstop that I will use next time. there is a railway track that goes through the land, its rarely used to transport cement from a cement work. There is a portion of it that had a 10-15Ft steep earth embankment. I will use that.

Now then.

I am not one to have a go and Cupraman don't take this to heart.

This is the second post I have read in quick succession where somebody was shooting a rifle without an adequate back stop. Now here is me going for my FAC and deciding to get some range work done and learn the calibres and safety etc and I am a little worried that people are getting ahead of themselves and not remembering that its always SAFETY FIRST.

Not a pop, but seriously gents lets just think about it and stay safe :lol:

I was there with Lee yesterday, I should have thought more carefully too.

Just waiting for my FAC to arrive in approx 3 weeks !

It's very easy to get ahead of ones self and not think things through properly, especially when you have just picked up a new toy.

Steve

ricochets happen, we do our best to prevent them, however we cant in 100% of instances, how to prevent them is a case of knowing when they happen, which we discover through trial and error or shooting at different materials/angles.

Its done now, just try and stop it happening again :good: