Renewing a FAC / Shotgun certifcate. (Pro Forma)

My coterminous certificates are not due until June 2025, but out of curiosity, I contacted south Wales Police firearms department and asked them if, when I go to renew them, would I have to provide my full medical history, or just from 2020 - 2025, as a GP has already signed a Pro Forma up to 2020. The reply was, 'Your GP will need to review your full medical records from birth. 

What a total waste of time! :no:

well by 2025 i imagine the goal posts will have moved a number of times mate, however youve still got the rock solid argument of "ive been granted  in 2020 with my previous medical history why is it now an issue with the same medical history?"  this only works on the basis that youve nothing to declare 2020-2025 ofcourse. 

i think youll be fine and if not this is the kind of thing basc do back you with if you are a member

I’m going through the same process, my last renewal asked my doctor to put a flag on my medical records highlighting I’m a gun owner. I don’t know if he provided a medical report for the police.
Got my completed form back from my GP last week, 2 week turn around. The questions on it relate to mental health/depression etc issues and is a simple yes no tick box. If any question is answered yes then further information is asked for. This is the first time a mandatory medical report has been asked for so I assume a full “drains up”, review of our medical records is required. I’ve never seen my registered GP so he doesn’t now my medical history. Let’s hope the whole process proceeds smoothly.

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Sweet11-87 said:

well by 2025 i imagine the goal posts will have moved a number of times mate, however youve still got the rock solid argument of "ive been granted  in 2020 with my previous medical history why is it now an issue with the same medical history?"  this only works on the basis that youve nothing to declare 2020-2025 ofcourse. 

i think youll be fine and if not this is the kind of thing basc do back you with if you are a member

I'm not against providing a medical report from 2020 -2025, I just feel it's a complete waste of time having to request and provide my full medical records. The only thing I can think of is that, even though a GP checked and signed a Pro Forma after examining my records up to 2020, a different GP (I went via BASC last time) would probably want to check the full records, so that he can be satisfied all is okay before signing the Pro Forma. The first GP (via BASC) only charged me £25 as he too, was a 'shooter' as he put it.

Edited by steve_b_wales

5 minutes ago, scarecrow243 said:

i don't see why we have to get this done every renewal as its on the doctors system

simple answer,things can change in 5 years.

what can't change is your previous medical history up the point when your last licence/s was/were issued.

as i stated on a previous/different thread imho to do a full check again is a complete waste of the doctors time as the only things that could count against you have happened during the previous 5 years.

I've just applied for my first grant, so understand I have to get the full medical cert done. My Dr charges £80 for the pleasure though, which means come renewal time it may actually cost more for the medical cert than it does for the FAC renewal cost 🤣 crazy world.

Edited by Baldingfast

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Baldingfast said:

I've just applied for my first grant, so understand I have to get the full medical cert done. My Dr charges £80 for the pleasure though, which means come renewal time it may actually cost more for the medical cert than it does for the FAC renewal cost 🤣 crazy world.

MEDCERT charge £72:00. BASC charge in the region of £75:00

Edited by steve_b_wales

21 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

MEDCERT charge £72:00. BASC charge in the region of £75:00

I have never used the service, but I think you will find that BASC actually charge nothing. What they do is to give you a list of doctors who will do the job for you and the individual doctors will charge their fee.

56 minutes ago, London Best said:

I have never used the service, but I think you will find that BASC actually charge nothing. What they do is to give you a list of doctors who will do the job for you and the individual doctors will charge their fee.

Correct.

4 hours ago, Zoli 12 guage said:

simple answer,things can change in 5 years

A lot can change in 5 years. If the system is working correctly surely changes to your medical record affecting gun ownership are flagged to the police as soon as your records are updated. If at your next renewal nothing has been flagged then why would you need to bother your GP again?

52 minutes ago, Down South said:

A lot can change in 5 years. If the system is working correctly surely changes to your medical record affecting gun ownership are flagged to the police as soon as your records are updated. If at your next renewal nothing has been flagged then why would you need to bother your GP again?

I agree.