AyA (Predates) #2 - Seeking help with missing Lock Plate and what to do now...

New to the forum but scouring the internet for help with my Aguirre y Aranzabal side by side, single trigger, double barrel set (20/28g). Specific model I believe is either a 117 or 51. I'll reach out to AyA that I saw in another post to try and get more specifics (pictured below.)

I fell in love with this gun over the last season and unfortunately was out with my dogs and did realize that the right lock plate had popped off until it was too late! Anyone know of where I can source the parts for this. AYA in Spain is
a) impossible to get a hold of and even their #1 importers in New England are saying they are struggling
b) going to cost just as much as the gun did to send to Spain to get fixed. 

I've reached out to a ton of resources and nothing has been promising yet, Althought I still have a list of people I haven't been able to get ahold of yet. 

I think my best option is to find someone with the same gun that is just using it for parts who hasn't had the same issue and isn't missing the part I need - but this seems impossible.

My next best bet is finding another 7pin right lock plate (the only one I have found that might work $1500) that is the same size or bigger that can be filed down to fit mine ($500+) Still getting pretty expensive, since this doesn't include finding someone who will take on this project.

Thoughts?!

IMG_7288.HEIC

By what you describe this would be a bench made gun and thus virtually hand made. Therefore, I think each gun would be assembled individually and spare parts which fit “off the shelf” will likely be unobtainable. You need a gunmaker who can make you a replacement lock, which, as you say, will not be cheap. But the gun should be worth repairing.

Bench made yes but made to a pattern so best bet would be buy a used one from auction and cannibalise it. Fitting a replacement lock plate from the new to your gun is a lot easier than fitting your barrels ton the new to you complete gun. The more "issues" with the new to you gun such as broken stock or very very short stock or out of proof barrels (so check out the "stock and action" section of any auctioneers sale catalogue) the cheaper that donor gun will be.

Edited by enfieldspares

3 hours ago, London Best said:

That is not a silly idea! Well worth a go.

as LB says........many years ago the queen lost her small Rolex wrist watch whilst beating in the woods at west newton....the estate factor Julian LLoyd engaged a bunch of metal detectors...and withing 3 hours they found it...and all the boys got £20 quid each ...(and then that was a lot of money )

22 hours ago, tara.ann1018 said:

New to the forum but scouring the internet for help with my Aguirre y Aranzabal side by side, single trigger, double barrel set (20/28g). Specific model I believe is either a 117 or 51. I'll reach out to AyA that I saw in another post to try and get more specifics (pictured below.)

I fell in love with this gun over the last season and unfortunately was out with my dogs and did realize that the right lock plate had popped off until it was too late! Anyone know of where I can source the parts for this. AYA in Spain is
a) impossible to get a hold of and even their #1 importers in New England are saying they are struggling
b) going to cost just as much as the gun did to send to Spain to get fixed. 

I've reached out to a ton of resources and nothing has been promising yet, Althought I still have a list of people I haven't been able to get ahold of yet. 

I think my best option is to find someone with the same gun that is just using it for parts who hasn't had the same issue and isn't missing the part I need - but this seems impossible.

My next best bet is finding another 7pin right lock plate (the only one I have found that might work $1500) that is the same size or bigger that can be filed down to fit mine ($500+) Still getting pretty expensive, since this doesn't include finding someone who will take on this project.

Thoughts?!

IMG_7288.HEIC 1.23 MB · 41 downloads

I cant open your link .But . It should be possible to obtain a lock from Spain in the white ,but the amount of work to fit and finish it then engrave it , would almost certainly outstrip the guns value . Finding another gun that can be canalised could be a solution but finding one of the correct age and engraving pattern may be next to impossible .

Returning the gun To AyA in Spain would  be  an uneconomic proposition.

Sorry  to say it but  unless you can get some detectorist/s to go out and look for it tracing your path ( A reward may induce a few takers ) I think you have to face the fact you now have a scrap gun .

Insurance ? 

• 2 weeks later...