Cheek Raiser - Recommendations Please

I’ve always felt comfortable in my own gun fitting (I know what’s right and wrong for me) and for the first time I’m finding I might need to add some height onto a ‘new to me’ gun.

has anyone any personal preference in a stick on cheek raiser?

Kickeez / Beretta Gel etc 

Looking for something half temporary but not a slip on before I consider having my stock made adjustable! 

Thanks!

Morning!
I have a friend in the same predicament to you. It turned out it was a bad gun mount, and the gel pad wasn't helping. Have you considered having a friend take photos of you mounted so you can look at it to make sure you're happy that it's a gun that has a low butt pad rather than a bad mount?

I am guessing it's an older field gun?

Personally I liked the beretta gel pad and sticks really well, and more importantly peels off without damage.

1 hour ago, HantsRob said:

Morning!
I have a friend in the same predicament to you. It turned out it was a bad gun mount, and the gel pad wasn't helping. Have you considered having a friend take photos of you mounted so you can look at it to make sure you're happy that it's a gun that has a low butt pad rather than a bad mount?

Personally I liked the beretta gel pad and sticks really well, and more importantly peels off without damage.

second berretta

Sounds like you know your own gun fitting requirements - as we all do eventually. Comb raisers are OK and there are plenty of choices, but if you really like the gun then having an adjustable comb is the ultimate solution. If carried out to a high standard by a good smith, it will not negatively affect the value either. 

41 minutes ago, Fellside said:

Sounds like you know your own gun fitting requirements - as we all do eventually. Comb raisers are OK and there are plenty of choices, but if you really like the gun then having an adjustable comb is the ultimate solution. If carried out to a high standard by a good smith, it will not negatively affect the value either. 

best 

I am currently using the Isis comb raiser and find it the best thing for the job. As said it will raise the comb, without altering the cast. My gun has 2 sets of woodwork,  1 Sporting and 1 Trap. The Sporting stock was catching my cheekbone and the Trap stock was just a bit too high for Sporting targets. I was given an Isis comb raiser to try, it is still on the gun and is just the right height. It has 2 height adjustments and can be easily removed and replaced.  At £40, not the cheapest, but I have used just about every make or type of comb raiser over the years and the Isis is certainly the best. 

Compress_20240325_203754_4619.jpg

Compress_20240325_203754_4853.jpg

10 hours ago, HantsRob said:

Morning!

Well this is actually me trying a different set of barrels and although I’m likely to get my current stock made adjustable, I wanted to do a semi long term test with it first! 

Just one of those ‘why not’ experiments!

7 hours ago, Fellside said:

That’s very likely down the line. But in the interest of doing a long term test without the commitment, I might be persuaded to get a spare stock chopped about!  Just having fun with experiments for the sake of it! 😂

4 hours ago, chesterse said:

Best comb raisers in my opinion are the Isis ones, they raise the comb but do not stick out at the sides like some throwing the cast out.

1 hour ago, Westley said:

I am currently using the Isis comb raiser and find it the best thing for the job. As said it will raise the comb, without altering the cast. My gun has 2 sets of woodwork,  1 Sporting and 1 Trap. The Sporting stock was catching my cheekbone and the Trap stock was just a bit too high for Sporting targets. I was given an Isis comb raiser to try, it is still on the gun and is just the right height. It has 2 height adjustments and can be easily removed and replaced.  At £40, not the cheapest, but I have used just about every make or type of comb raiser over the years and the Isis is certainly the best. 

Interesting! Not something I’d seen! And very much in my line of thinking…this is purely a little change of height without altering anything else by much! 👌🏻

I found the standard comb on the Sporting stock a bit narrow, which is why it was catching my cheekbone. The Isis comb raiser, as you can see, is a bit wider making the gun much more pleasant to shoot. In fact coupled with an Isis recoil pad, I am not conscious of any recoil.

Edited by Westley