PCC elections: make a difference to the future of firearms licensing

That’s my point Conor, I am unable to elicit a reply from any of them, or assess their stance on shotgun legislation.

All that is available is generalised platitudes about making the world a better place.

I was hoping BASC may have been able to pin them down a bit better than I can ?

Tedward.

17 hours ago, Tedward said:

That’s my point Conor, I am unable to elicit a reply from any of them, or assess their stance on shotgun legislation.

All that is available is generalised platitudes about making the world a better place.

I was hoping BASC may have been able to pin them down a bit better than I can ?

Tedward.

The candidates are more likely to react to lots of queries from potential voters in their constituency rather than a single query from BASC. That's the focus for the initial phase of this campaign. 

Received a reply from the Incumbent Hampshire PCC, forwarded, who hilariously states they have made the waiting times a priority over the last 3 years.

The BASC league table (I think) suggests that 21/22 they were at 84 days on average, I was messaged in Feb 2024 that they were processing applications from June 2023 so we're now at 10/12 months. Applied myself Sept 2023.

On 10/04/2024 at 16:49, Tedward said:

Conor,

has BASC received any replies from the three candidates standing for Devon and Cornwall PCC ?

regards, Tedward.

Still no replies in from any of them as far as I know. All three candidates can now be contacted direct from the BASC platform.

28 minutes ago, Tedward said:

Hi Conor,

I have to agree, still no replies (or acknowledgment) from the three candidates for the Devon and Cornwall PCC post.

Sad state of affairs in our thriving democracy !

regards, Tedward.

It is frustrating but we are getting good responses from some candidates in other areas. Mind you one candidate has emailed one of our members that they want to stop receiving emails otherwise they will constitute this as harassment and contact the police. You could not make it up.

23 hours ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

Mind you one candidate has emailed one of our members that they want to stop receiving emails otherwise they will constitute this as harassment and contact the police. You could not make it up.

Report him to the PCC.

On 18/04/2024 at 11:53, Conor O'Gorman said:

It is frustrating but we are getting good responses from some candidates in other areas. Mind you one candidate has emailed one of our members that they want to stop receiving emails otherwise they will constitute this as harassment and contact the police. You could not make it up.

On 19/04/2024 at 11:19, London Best said:

Report him to the PCC.

On 19/04/2024 at 11:38, Conor O'Gorman said:

I am not doing anything with it, it's just a distraction from the campaign.

Blimey, what an awful state of affairs.

I emailed the labour PCC candidate for Essex three weeks ago asking for his views on shooting sports. He has not replied. From this i can only surmise he is not interested in the slightest.

Going on Essex police good performance on firearms grants & renewals I shall vote for Roger Hirst (Con) the sitting PCC.

I called in to vote for my PCC this morning at around 10:15 (the polling station had been open since 07:00).  We only have one election, the PCC as no council candidates are up for election.  The polling station was staffed by 4 staff.  At a guess - with 4 staff, village hall rental, overtime (it's open 07:00 to 22:00) and expenses for travel, lunch etc. I bet it costs into £4 figures - and that's for just one tiny polling station with around (guess) 200 voters on the electoral register.  Whilst they were looking to cross me off the  register (when you vote a line is ruled through your name on the register) I was looking to see how many had voted.  As far as I could see no one else had voted.  No one else's name had been ruled through.

This emphasises the stupidity and futility of the whole PCC office and system.  They do nothing, cost a LOT (both to run and to re-elect) and NO ONE is interested.

Edited by JohnfromUK

22 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

This emphasises the stupidity and futility of the whole PCC office and system.  They do nothing, cost a LOT (both to run and to re-elect) and NO ONE is interested.

it’s also corrupt as part of the “gang” child gets one of the higher paying count roles she will draw £375 for today! 

53 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I thought the vast majority of those staffing the pop up polling stations were volunteers.

I believe it is voluntary, but as paid volunteers.  My understanding is that it can be a 'flat rate' or hourly paid and one of our nearby councils pays £221 plus £10 mileage flat rate - and others pay around £12-15 an hour plus training time and mileage/expenses at HMRC rates.  Typically for a 'day' is around £175 - 220 plus mileage at HMRC rates.  Staff have to be present for the whole event (from 06:15 until after 22:00) and are not permitted to leave.